WEN

Respected Contributor

I thought the same thing quite a while ago.  This Nick Chavez is behind the Wen bashing.  He or his products could not shine Chaz Dean's shoes!  Not only are Wen products wonderful but Chaz does so many worthy charities and he personally makes sure in poor areas people have clean drinking water.  I think it's called apologetic water or something like that and just recently 1,000 people have clean drinking water and it's been going on for a while now.  He also did that Happy Heart Fund thing where he had a school built in Bali because a hurricane destroyed their school.  I don't know if it was a storm or an earthquake but that's where he got the label from the Mango Coconut from, from when he went to Bali to do that.  He does other charities too and not for a tax shelter.  He personally oversees because he really tries to help and all these idiots can do is bash him.  It always happens, the good ones take the brunt of alot of nonsense.

Trusted Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

I thought the same thing quite a while ago.  This Nick Chavez is behind the Wen bashing.  He or his products could not shine Chaz Dean's shoes!  Not only are Wen products wonderful but Chaz does so many worthy charities and he personally makes sure in poor areas people have clean drinking water.  I think it's called apologetic water or something like that and just recently 1,000 people have clean drinking water and it's been going on for a while now.  He also did that Happy Heart Fund thing where he had a school built in Bali because a hurricane destroyed their school.  I don't know if it was a storm or an earthquake but that's where he got the label from the Mango Coconut from, from when he went to Bali to do that.  He does other charities too and not for a tax shelter.  He personally oversees because he really tries to help and all these idiots can do is bash him.  It always happens, the good ones take the brunt of alot of nonsense.

Generosity . Org is the name Smiley Happy 

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

Up front, I am a 7 year WEN user and love it.  When I saw today's TSV I decided to watch the show to see and hear about his flicker and hair spray.  I had used his products before I found Chaz and I had to stop because it caused problems for me.  Everyone's hair and scalp has different needs at different times in their life.  Because it had been so many years I wanted to check in again to see his presentation.  During the show he made a side comment that it was about time that QVC gave him the time he and his products deserved.   His sales pitch made digs at WEN without saying the name.   My opinion of him changed during the program and I have not watched since.   For all vendors, tell me about your product and why I should buy it.  I do not want to hear you compare it with $1000+ similar items or cut down the competition.   I do not have time to listen to needless bull and chat about yourself.  Sell your products on its own merit.  As customers we will chose the product or item that works best for us.  Also, there is no need to shout at us.   It is ridiculous that I need one column for the host and turn it down when the vendor is speaking.

Contributor

Wow! I sure hope this doesn't hurt Chaz. The FDA, without even finishing their investigation seems to have sent out a warning to doctors. This is sad. I've used WEN for years without incident and know several people who have as well.

Of course, I don't want to discount the experiences of those who may have had an adverse reaction, but I find it interesting that people are treating this like a "dangerous" product because some people have had an adverse reaction to some ingredient. People still use hair dye even though a few have had life threatening reactions to it. Why? Because it is a rare occurrence. 

For those who say their folicles became clogged, I truly do not understand how. I generally concentrate any hair cleanser on the scalp, and usually make sure it's rinsed pretty well. 

I have started checking out Nick's products too, simply because I'm feeling a bit salty about the lack of TSVs for Wen's rice based formulas. The stuff is expensive as all heck. Still love it though. Even if I fall in love with something Nick has, I can't see myself cutting out Wen altogether, but feel like I would probably alternate. 

Super Contributor

the Wen response has been in the news BUT most ignore it:

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/exclusive-wen-chaz-dean-products-safe-2392493.html

#IamTeamWen
Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

Up front, I am a 7 year WEN user and love it.  When I saw today's TSV I decided to watch the show to see and hear about his flicker and hair spray.  I had used his products before I found Chaz and I had to stop because it caused problems for me.  Everyone's hair and scalp has different needs at different times in their life.  Because it had been so many years I wanted to check in again to see his presentation.  During the show he made a side comment that it was about time that QVC gave him the time he and his products deserved.   His sales pitch made digs at WEN without saying the name.   My opinion of him changed during the program and I have not watched since.   For all vendors, tell me about your product and why I should buy it.  I do not want to hear you compare it with $1000+ similar items or cut down the competition.   I do not have time to listen to needless bull and chat about yourself.  Sell your products on its own merit.  As customers we will chose the product or item that works best for us.  Also, there is no need to shout at us.   It is ridiculous that I need one column for the host and turn it down when the vendor is speaking.

Yep @Gram W I used to watch his shows until he started becoming too frantic and spending the majority of his time bashing WEN. It was sad to see him doing that because he feels so threatened by the competition.  He should focus more on his own products and less on trying to undermine WEN and perhaps, just perhaps, he will sell more and get more air time.

i tried a few of his products in the past and they dried out my hair. I also do not like the hairstyles of the ladies on his shows. Big poofy hair. I think he and his products are geared more towards the old school hairstyles and the older generation and that is not the look I am going for with my hair. 

Honored Contributor

aggravated wrote:

MSN and Yahoo news are both featuring this story under their headlines today.  That is probably why.

yesterday NPR had an article about it.

Late last year, mediation began for a class-action lawsuit in California against Guthy-Renker, the company that markets and manufactures Wen.

The FDA doesn't approve cosmetics before they go on the market, though it does set upper limits for bacteria in cosmetics and hygiene products. Instead, says Linda Katz, director of the FDA's Office of Cosmetics and Colors, the agency monitors consumer complaints for many factors to decide whether to investigate a product.

In this case, the sheer number of complaints played a role in the decision. The agency says it is investigating more than 21,000 complaints reported to Chaz Dean Inc. and Guthy-Renker. (Gianna Cesa, a PR representative for Chaz Dean, says the company did not receive this number of complaints.)

Katz says she can't discuss any working hypotheses associated with the investigation, though she did say investigators have no reason to believe the product was contaminated with something foreign, like microbes. For now, the FDA is still gathering information. Officials will look at the product's quality testing and whether there have been any changes to how the product is made.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/25/486904436/problems-after-using-hair-conditioner-...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'd hate to see this turn into a thread bashing Nick Chavez.  I really don't think he has anything to do with this.  These threads have been popping up (seems like) forever regardless of who or what is currently on.

I've used Nick's products in the past and really liked them; still have some of them. 

I've been using WEN for about two months now, including this morning.  Right now my hair feels soft and looks shiny.  We don't need to tear down any other vendor because, after all, other customers prefer other brands and they're entitled to that.

Let's just keep this positive - on why we like WEN!  (If we become negative, the posters who keep stirring this up win.)  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

Re: FDA Safety Alerts

[ Edited ]

Venezia wrote:

I'd hate to see this turn into a thread bashing Nick Chavez.  I really don't think he has anything to do with this.  These threads have been popping up (seems like) forever regardless of who or what is currently on.

I've used Nick's products in the past and really liked them; still have some of them. 

I've been using WEN for about two months now, including this morning.  Right now my hair feels soft and looks shiny.  We don't need to tear down any other vendor because, after all, other customers prefer other brands and they're entitled to that.

Let's just keep this positive - on why we like WEN!  (If we become negative, the posters who keep stirring this up win.)  JMHO.

That's such a lovely post, I wanted to repeat it, @Venezia.   Trying to demean a competitor isn't that helpful to the vendor we might like better (no matter who they are).    And I think all of us know we can all watch the same presentation and come away from it with countless different summaries of what happened -- it's so subjective.  That's why eyewitness accounts often are very uneven and unreliable.  Regarding the FDA, they have no choice but to follow up when there are large numbers of reports and complaints.    Regarding WEN, just based on what I've read so far there's no specific product involved or genuine proof of imminent "danger," so I don't see why they'd make anything unavailable for purchase right now.

(eta:  As for the new posters showing up...  just my guess, but it's probably because this story is very prominent in the news -- we saw the same proliferation of new posters and threads when the Paula Dean controversy heated up.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia @dooBdoo - I agree, this should not turn into a thread bashing NC or his products. That group of gals seems to be just as passitionate about his products as we are about Wen.