Respected Contributor

We are going on a land only tour second week of June. It's a small group max 13 people starting in Anchorage with various sites including Denali National Park. 

We will have a free day in Anchorage so do you have any favorite places to see or eat? We will take the one day tour of Denali and then have a part of a day free or with optional things like the plane ride over park. Any thoughts?

I guess dress in layers. What about misquitoes? 

Honored Contributor

Re: alaska land only tour

[ Edited ]

TI was there in August and don't remember being bothered by insects. 

I hope you're lucky and happen to hit the park when Mt. DENALI (McKinley) is not shrouded in clouds.  We got a good view of it plus our Alaskan Airlines pilot flew low over it in a figure 8.

image.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@granddi wrote:

We are going on a land only tour second week of June. It's a small group max 13 people starting in Anchorage with various sites including Denali National Park. 

We will have a free day in Anchorage so do you have any favorite places to see or eat? We will take the one day tour of Denali and then have a part of a day free or with optional things like the plane ride over park. Any thoughts?

I guess dress in layers. What about misquitoes? 

I did cruise and land the first two weeks of June 2016.  Temps were still cool and layers are definitely a good way to go.  I have friends who were in AK in June of 2014 and they had nearly 90 degree temps and yes, mosquitoes.  You might want to bring bug spray just in case.  Remember, everything is very expensive in AK, so bring your own bug spray.  I wasn't in Anchorage, but did spend a few days in Denali.  Plane ride is a great way to see glaciers and such.  Weather was rainy when I was there, so planes didn't fly.  Great land tours just the same.  By the way, AK trip was the trip of a lifetime.  If you ever have the chance, take the cruise, too.  You won't be disappointed.  Glacier Bay is magnificent. 

Valued Contributor

You should have a great time. I live in Fairbanks, so as far as a recommendation for Anchorage, the Glacier Brewhouse restaurant is good. It has more of an Alaska theme and has a variety of food choices. You can look the menu up on line; it is in the downtown area. 

At Denali Park, you're making a good decision to take the bus ride into the park. You never know what animals you will see. Last time I was there (last September) we saw grizzly bear, moose, a wolf, a wolverine (very rare), some dall sheep, a few caribou. 

If you like to hike, there are some easy trails near the front of the park, and the visitor's center at the park is good to visit. As far as food, just outside the park is Lynx Creek Pizza...very good.

There will be mosquitos, but you shouldn't have many at all in Anchorage. At the park you may encounter more...you can always buy repellant once you are here, if you are trying to pack lightly and don't want to carry it. I buy repellant that has DEET in it...some people like a milder type of repellant, but I want the mega stuff when it comes to the bugs. 

Definitely bring layers to dress in. The weather varies a lot. 

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I live in New Mexico but ate at the best Mexican restaurant I've ever tried while in Anchorage.  Have no idea what the name was.  We didn't have dinner reservations and walked for blocks trying to find some dinner.  Finally came upon this place and were soon happy campers.  Suggest making reservations. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor
I literally just watched a webcast this afternoon about an Alaska tour. Keeping in mind I've never been there myself...

You will see baby bear!! Like, seriously the cutest little teddy bears. June and beginning of July is when the first cubs are born. Also mating season. Salmon season isn't until August/September.

I recall they also said winter layers in June.

Sorry - I have nothing to offer other than say the scenery was breathtaking and Alaska may be moving up my very long list. Ha ha!
Honored Contributor

The Alaska Cruise/Land trip is at the top of my bucket list, so I'll be paying attention to all of the suggestions here.

Everyone I know who has done this trip has enjoyed it thoroughly.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@granddi  Is your land only tour an organized bus tour?

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

@granddi  Is your land only tour an organized bus tour?

It is called Alaska Tour Guides Inc. Group is limited to 13. They get good reviews on Trip Advisor. We tried last year to just plan on our own and ran into so many issues. Group trips have limits but his seems to cover a lot of geography in 10 days. As I said you are picked up in Anchorage. Will see glaciers by boat, go on a float trip, Denalli National Park day trip, some optional things. Hotels and most meal provided. We just did not want to cruise.

Respected Contributor

That sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting about it.  I never thought about looking for something like that. Let us know how you like it.