Honored Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Island Destination?

Thanks, @itiswhatitis.  

I take Dramamine but I try not to take two tablets unless I think it's necessary because it makes me drowsy.  They have a non-drowsy formula but it doesn't work as well for me.  I'm like your daughter.  If I'm riding with someone I take a pill.  And no backseat riding if I can avoid it.  Or riding backwards on a train.  Runs in my family on my mother's side.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Thanks, @itiswhatitis.  

I take Dramamine but I try not to take two tablets unless I think it's necessary because it makes me drowsy.  They have a non-drowsy formula but it doesn't work as well for me.  I'm like your daughter.  If I'm riding with someone I take a pill.  And no backseat riding if I can avoid it.  Or riding backwards on a train.  Runs in my family on my mother's side.

Yes @Mmsfoxxie, my daughter "must" have this.  She is the only one in our family that is affected by motion sickness.  I told her she must get this from her father's side of the family.  LOL.

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

Although I live just two miles from the beach (in New England - hardly tropical!), when it comes to vacation, I am more inclined to go for mountain scenery than sand and sea.  I have, however, had a few great island vacations.

I absolutely loved Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan region of Mexico.  The island is located very close to Cancun, and is only accessible by boat.  It is very small and the only way to get around is by taxi or golf cart.  Isla has a shade of turquoise blue water that I've never seen anywhere else.  The food was incredible, it was quite inexpensive, and the people were so friendly.  We went a few years ago, and at that point Isla was just being "discovered' and you could see that it was starting to get built up. I'm sure if we went back (which we hope to do), it would not be the same.  

I've also been to Hawaii (Oahu and Maui), and although both were beautiful, it's a long flight from Boston and, to be honest, I think there are other places that are just as pretty. Bermuda comes to mind.  I know it's not really tropical, but Bermuda really is lovely.  Incredibly expensive, but lovely.

Isla Mujeres sounds wonderful!  Thanks for sharing @ZoetheCat.

It really was wonderful!  I know I sound like I work for the Isla Mujeres Chamber of Commerce, but I can't say enough about the place.  I actually had tears in my eyes when we were taking the ferry back to Cancun for our flight home.

I hope that you get to all the places on your tropical bucket list.  My own list seems to grow every day.  So many places to see in this big world, and so little time.    

Valued Contributor

Scotland. Does that count?
Not so jazzed about the tropical. I tend to like cold weather.

Occasional Contributor

Mackinac Island, Michigan. Although it is very touristy, there is a certain peace there. Mackinac Island is one of the few places where there is NO CARS. You walk, ride a bike, or take a horse everywhere.

Respected Contributor

Iceland, Scotland (Skye, the Orkneys). Not exactly tropical though. Mackinac Island is on my list. Must look into some of the tropical.

Honored Contributor

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at Tue, Mar 7, 2017-9.38.39 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

@Quse wrote:

Scotland. Does that count?
Not so jazzed about the tropical. I tend to like cold weather.

We went to Scotland in June several years ago, and it was so cold that I remember wishing I had mittens!  I did love it, though.  Edinburgh, in my opinion, is very underrated. I thought it was absolutely beautiful.  I also loved St. Andrews.  Unfortunately, we didn't get to any other parts of Scotland.  I guess I'll have to add that to my bucket list!

Respected Contributor

United Kingdom is our go-to getaway. We live on a lake, I used to live on the ocean, and tropical vacations bore me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

The prettiest Island I've ever visited is Bermuda.

I never considered myself a beach person, but I think Bermuda changed that!  I thought it was stunning.

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG