Esteemed Contributor

Your Favorite Island Destination?

I love beautiful water and sand in tropical places.  There are many Islands that I would love to visit one day (kind of like a bucket list).  Do you have a favorite tropical Island destination?

Some places I would love to explore are:

Fiji

Seychelles

Galapagos

Bora Bora

American Somoa

Vieques

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Island Destination?

The prettiest Island I've ever visited is Bermuda.

Respected Contributor

Capri

IMG_3468.JPG

Super Contributor

Although I live just two miles from the beach (in New England - hardly tropical!), when it comes to vacation, I am more inclined to go for mountain scenery than sand and sea.  I have, however, had a few great island vacations.

I absolutely loved Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan region of Mexico.  The island is located very close to Cancun, and is only accessible by boat.  It is very small and the only way to get around is by taxi or golf cart.  Isla has a shade of turquoise blue water that I've never seen anywhere else.  The food was incredible, it was quite inexpensive, and the people were so friendly.  We went a few years ago, and at that point Isla was just being "discovered' and you could see that it was starting to get built up. I'm sure if we went back (which we hope to do), it would not be the same.  

I've also been to Hawaii (Oahu and Maui), and although both were beautiful, it's a long flight from Boston and, to be honest, I think there are other places that are just as pretty. Bermuda comes to mind.  I know it's not really tropical, but Bermuda really is lovely.  Incredibly expensive, but lovely.

Honored Contributor

I am the worlds worst traveler so Jamaica is as far as we have ventured outside of the United States.  Oh, we got married and honeymooned in St. Lucia.  Beautiful.

Our last trip was last June for our tenth anniversary to the Sandals Resort in Whitehouse Jamaica.  That's where the flower in my avatar (sp) is from.  Love it there.

Oh....the reason that I am a bad traveler is because I get motion sick.  On our last trip, on the way to the airport to come home, it was the worst.  We took a private cab instead of the shuttle bus and the driver in trying to miss all of the potholes, upset my stomach.  I had to ask her to pull over so that I could throw up.  Bad memory for such a beautiful trip.  

On the trip before that, in Antigua (guess I've been to more than Jamaica, lol) we went on a catamaran trip.  Again, I misdiagnosed the amount of meds to take and was soooo sick, it ruined the whole day.  We had been told the water was calm and it was not.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

Although I live just two miles from the beach (in New England - hardly tropical!), when it comes to vacation, I am more inclined to go for mountain scenery than sand and sea.  I have, however, had a few great island vacations.

I absolutely loved Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan region of Mexico.  The island is located very close to Cancun, and is only accessible by boat.  It is very small and the only way to get around is by taxi or golf cart.  Isla has a shade of turquoise blue water that I've never seen anywhere else.  The food was incredible, it was quite inexpensive, and the people were so friendly.  We went a few years ago, and at that point Isla was just being "discovered' and you could see that it was starting to get built up. I'm sure if we went back (which we hope to do), it would not be the same.  

I've also been to Hawaii (Oahu and Maui), and although both were beautiful, it's a long flight from Boston and, to be honest, I think there are other places that are just as pretty. Bermuda comes to mind.  I know it's not really tropical, but Bermuda really is lovely.  Incredibly expensive, but lovely.

Isla Mujeres sounds wonderful!  Thanks for sharing @ZoetheCat.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie, my daughter gets terrible motion sickness just from a car ride.  Look into that medication you can take before your next trip.  Might help you.

I have been to Jamaica's Montego Bay and Ochos Rios.  Beautiful and hot!!!!!  I had a ball though.  One of the best times I had on a vacation.

Good luck with your "want to go to list."Smiley Very Happy

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA is it Tropical?  It looks beautiful.

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I am the worlds worst traveler so Jamaica is as far as we have ventured outside of the United States.  Oh, we got married and honeymooned in St. Lucia.  Beautiful.

Our last trip was last June for our tenth anniversary to the Sandals Resort in Whitehouse Jamaica.  That's where the flower in my avatar (sp) is from.  Love it there.

Oh....the reason that I am a bad traveler is because I get motion sick.  On our last trip, on the way to the airport to come home, it was the worst.  We took a private cab instead of the shuttle bus and the driver in trying to miss all of the potholes, upset my stomach.  I had to ask her to pull over so that I could throw up.  Bad memory for such a beautiful trip.  

On the trip before that, in Antigua (guess I've been to more than Jamaica, lol) we went on a catamaran trip.  Again, I misdiagnosed the amount of meds to take and was soooo sick, it ruined the whole day.  We had been told the water was calm and it was not.

That sounds pretty miserable!  I admire the fact that you continue to travel even knowing that you have motion sickness.  That's dedication!  For me, jet lag is a problem.  I used to travel to Europe quite frequently, but I find that the older I get, the more the jet lag affects me.  I find that I am "putting off" my next trip to Europe because I know that first day will be miserable.  I've decided that this year I'm just going to go for it!

Although I am not normally affected by motion sickness, I did get a very queasy stomach on the ferry from Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.  It surprised me because boats have never bothere me before.  We owned a boat for several years and I never experienced sea sickness even in the rough seas of the Atlantic Ocean.  

Honored Contributor

St Thomas is my favorite Island, Paradise Island is pretty but way to over build, disliked Sanibel but loved Siesta Key

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.