Valued Contributor

Hi All,

My son is turning 50 in April and wants to take a trip to Japan.  I would love to treat him to this trip of a lifetime and am wondering if anyone has been there and how much it would cost to get there and have some spending money.  He said he has a friend who lives there and has been asking him to visit.  Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much.            docsgirl

Respected Contributor

Expedia is your friend when it comes to travel......

....and personally I wouldn't go there until the tension settles down.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I can't help regarding the cost but just wanted to say I spent 3 months in Japan about 30 years ago and have very found memories. I'm sure things have changed since then but I remember the gracious people, wonderful food and the beautiful temples among other things. It would be a wonderful trip for your son. 

Esteemed Contributor
What are your intentions? Paying for airfare and hotel? How long? Will he stay with his friend? Do you intend for him to travel to different locations?

To give one idea, several posters like OAT Travel. They have a Japan trip, 14 days for $4,695 (which includes airfare; of course, the price changes depending on where he flies out of and the time of year he goes.). Can maybe use as a guide. I've seen some tours that are more than this.

You can also go to Expedia or Orbitz and make up an itinerary from your airport with hotel and price it out.

It's just a little difficult because there are many variables.

Esteemed Contributor

Japan is my next year's destination.  I travel with Tauck and I've never been disappointed .  I plan on doing the Essence of Japan tour which is 12 days, I think  and $9,990 exclusive of airfare.  They also have a small ship cruise which is partly a cruise and part land for $11,990 plus air....probably there are more inexpensive tours but I like the accommodations on the Tauck tours....I'm not a fan of cruises but did the small ship in NZ and I loved NZ but hated being on board.  

IF you don't need accommodations, check the travel sites as suggested by other posters or the websites for JAL, Cathay, Asiana for airfares..

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your replies and input.  You are correct in saying that I need more information from him.  I was thinking of surprising him but that's not a good idea as I have no idea what his plans would be.  If he is serious about this trip, he needs to decide what he wants to do and let me know.  In fact, I may just tell him to plan it and book it and I'll pay for it.  While I realize this will be expensive, he'll only turn 50 once so if this is really what he wants, I want him to be happy.  He's a blessing to me, especially since his dad passed away.  Thank you all, again.    docsgirl

@Stray Enjoy your trip to Japan.  It sounds wonderful.

Honored Contributor

Re: Trip to Japan...Cost?

[ Edited ]

@docsgirl

Several U.K. Airlines are advertising great airfare prices. 

Canadian Air, Norwegian Air and others as well. The ads are on television and the internet. 

You might want to check their websites. 

Did you you look at the "new travel forum" also @Worldtravler might be of assistance to you. 

Valued Contributor

@Stray  We too travel with Tauck and have taken the Essence of Japan trip.  Excellent.  Wonderful country with very nice and helpful people.  You will really enjoy it!  Friends took the cruise last year and were disappointed.  Our last trip was Essence of South America which might have been our all time favorite.  Next up is Paradors of Northern Spain.  Enjoy Japan!!

Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330- have you done the Tauck Antarctica?  I really enjoy Tauck....always top notch.  I'm not a fan of cruises....I do enjoy more time on land and am looking forward to the trip.  

Esteemed Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

Thank you all for your replies and input.  You are correct in saying that I need more information from him.  I was thinking of surprising him but that's not a good idea as I have no idea what his plans would be.  If he is serious about this trip, he needs to decide what he wants to do and let me know.  In fact, I may just tell him to plan it and book it and I'll pay for it.  While I realize this will be expensive, he'll only turn 50 once so if this is really what he wants, I want him to be happy.  He's a blessing to me, especially since his dad passed away.  Thank you all, again.    docsgirl

@Stray Enjoy your trip to Japan.  It sounds wonderful.

@docsgirl- I don't think surprises are too good...like you say, he is only 50 once....so make it perfect and what he wants to do....everyone really loves Japan and it's a wonderful, thoughtful gift and one he will never forget!