Frequent Contributor

Has anyone travelled to South Africa?  I MAY have an opportunity to travel to South Africa the first week of September.  Landing in Johannesburg and traveling about 2 1/2 hrs for a safari (viewing and photo variety).  I will be 72 by then, decent health.  I'm not terribly adventurous.  Has anyone visited this area or are from SA?   Any thoughts or suggestions?  I have a couple of travel books, but didn't find them very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any responses.  

Kathy

Esteemed Contributor

@kathybnc2  My son dated a young lady from South Africa when he was in college.  He went there twice and stayed for a month each time. So my knowledge is very limited, second hand and from about 7-8 years ago.

He told me the airport and malls had security armed with machine guns. The home that he stayed at was surrounded by a wall with concertina wire on top. 

The family took him to a safari park and the ocean. They had never been before on their own.  What we have in zoos is wildlife for them.  And when DS took his GF to our zoos she took pictures of the squirrels and our wildlife.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've been to South Africa in 2013.  I stayed predominantly in Cape Town and then Botswana, Zambia ending up in Johannesburg.  Cape Town is very safe but at the time I was there, Johannesburg had an advisory re "civil unrest" and we were advised not to extend our trip, but I had it planned and stayed.  I liked the city and the people were very nice; I was always with a guide and was careful.  The economy is not as good there as it is in Capetown, so like in any big city, you just must be vigilant.  It is worth the trip there because it's a fun city, pretty with very nice people.  The food is excellent and a lot to do.  Africa is a beautiful place but at times Johannesburg does have problems.  I would advise you visit the State Department website and look at the advisories and see what's happening in Johannesburg.   I needed immunizations as I was going on safari so you had best check to see the entry guidelines on the CDC website or guidelines for Johannesburg on the Africa website.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Colinka mentioned in the long travel thread that she had a daughter living in Johannesburg, so maybe she will see your thread and comment.  

If you like to read trip reports, I would recommend the forums on safaritalk dot net.

Honored Contributor

Re: South Africa travel

[ Edited ]

What a wonderful opportunity to explore and view wildlife in natural habitat....I would jump on that opportunity  (and I am assuming you not considering the viewing of hunting precious wildlife).

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for the information you shared, especially safari talk which was very helpful with the little bit I had a chance to check out.

Honored Contributor

AHHHHH Africa my favorite place!  My heart and soul is there.  Feels like I'm home as soon as I step off the plane.  Have been to JoBurg 3 times - twice just flew in and out and once I stayed for about 6 days.  Been to Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe (twice).  First trip to Zimbabwe was part of a safari and stayed at Hwange.  The second time I stayed for 2 weeks with a family that lived in Harare. 

All I can say is go!  It is magical and wonderful.  So worth the long flight. 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, Judi.  I am so on the fence whether to go or not.  I would land in Johannesburg and then travel 2 1/2 hrs to a lodge somewhere Limpopo(?)

I'm not very adventurous and am concerned about food, water, safety.  Any thoughts you

provide would be greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Kathy -need a little more info.  I assume you are going on a safari through a tour company?  I have heard of the area Limpopo.  All the lodges i stayed at were fine - no problems with water or food.  Remember keeping you safe, well-fed, etc., is in their best interest.  Tourism is huge there & they are used to tourists.  As far as safety not sure what you are concerned about - staying at the lodge? Going out on drives?  You are very safe st the lodge & they will go over safety tips when you get there, such as no food in your cabin.  The drives are safe just listen & do what your guide tells you.   Such as no loud voices, stay in the vehicle, don't stand up.  They will also go over safety tips before each drive.  I never ever not even once felt unsafe at the lodge or out on a drive.   My tip while on drives, i watched my guide, if he didn't seem nervous then i wasn't worried.  The guides are professionally trained & know what they are doing - trust them to take care of you.  They don't want to get eaten by an animal any more than you do.  Hope this helps.

Trusted Contributor

Stray, your comments are quite insightful and helpful.  The information you supplied was similar to that  I was given in 1996 when I traveled to South Africa: Johanesburg, Capetown, Soweto, and Kruger National Park. Then, there was an undercurrent of unease as apartheid had ended.  The group in which I traveled was racially integrated and that was somewhat unusual then and less so now.  People were eager to talk with us. I mainly drank bottled water and other beverages and ate mostly fruits, vegetables, and seafood (personal preference).

Act in the same manner regarding health and safety as you would in any town, suburb, city, or rural area of the USA: use common sense, maintain communications, keep valuables safe, and enjoy the beauty of the country and open your eyes to the experiences of ordinary folks there as well.  Don't forget to visit your doctor and take the necessary vaccinations. Then, we had to take malaria medication also.

I have friends that travel to South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique on a yearly or bi-yearly basis and they are always safe.  I, too, will always carry a part of South Africa in my heart along with the books, art, and baskets I purchased. Enjoy!