Trusted Contributor

Solo Travel and/or Traveling with Women Travel Groups

Hello QVC Friends - I love to travel, and my husband's job does not have the flexibility that my job has; right now I have only traveled with him but as I'm getting older I want to cross special places off my "bucket" list. 

I receive emails from Secret Flyer which has great airline rates, and it also inspires me to want to go places.  I have discovered that their are women's travel groups where I can go on the trip and still have people to "hang" with when I want to join the group.

My question is...has anyone gone on solo travel trips, women's travel groups or even collette travel (which is another travel group)?

Any comments, suggestions and experiences you have will be appreciated.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Solo Travel and/or Traveling with Women Travel Groups

I used to travel a lot for my job and I also did some personal traveling.   I have a pretty good radar about people & some "street smarts"  so I don't mind traveling alone.   I usually make a friend along the way.   I like to travel by train and that makes it easier because the dining room is small so you don't get a table by yourself.   They ask if you would like to join another table.   There are usually other women traveling alone & dinner is fun.   I always meet the nicest people, I find it great fun.   Maybe because I'm an only child, I don't gravitate towards group travel.   I prefer my own pace.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trips!

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely love, love a good road trip!

Most of my gf's over the years have places they've wanted to travel to but they insist on waiting on their DH. And they're still waiting. 

I'm comfortable and confident on my own. Set my own hours & schedule. If I can sneak in a day off work then it's a short day trip & back home. Day or two trips are usually Amish country or down to Homer Laughlin China (Fiestaware) in WVa. Longer trips,  I've driven the Rockies, trying to plan a road trip to Yellowstone.

I want to take The Queen's Highway thru Canada to Alaska but that one I think I'll seek a companion.

Respected Contributor

I've always traveled alone and loved it - always meet a nice couple or another woman and end up hanging out.  But I have heard people talk about traveling groups - both men and women and just women's groups - I think either would be a blast!  A lot of them plan trips together every year with the same group of people. 

Valued Contributor

I'm 66 and for the last 20 years have traveled solo internatioanally. Once you travel by yourself it's such an adventure. You're free to do as you wish, when you wish.

I have met many wonderful people from all over the world and I will say, when your by yourself you are more approachable. 

Don't be afraid, after the first few days...you'll wonder what took you so long.

I also travel with my sister and we also have a blast.

Years ago I joined a women's travel group and had fun, met great women and did things I never thought of.

Your local AAA have women groups, also look online and you'd get some great ideas.

Bon voyage!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your response.  All your tips were great, one phrase really hit home for me....

I have girlfriends waiting to travel and they are still waiting.  (That was not an exact quote) but you get the point.  I'm getting older  and right now I don't have any "real" medical issues that prevent me traveling. I'm getting OLDER everyday and I want to go while I physically can do it.

One problem is I don't have a driver's license so I can't do to many local driving trips but I guess I could investigate taking a bus/train. 

Well, I will keep you posted, I plan to start small with a 2 night trip more so than starting with a 2 week solo cruise.  A group trip I can start with a longer timeframe because I know others will be around.

in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

My question is...has anyone gone on solo travel trips, women's travel groups or even collette travel (which is another travel group)?

Any comments, suggestions and experiences you have will be appreciated.

My trip in 2013 to Africa was with Gutsy Women Travel.  Subsequent to my trip, they have now partnered with OAT and their affiliates.  Many women here have taken OAT trips, but, if you prefer a woman only group, that's one I've personally used for a similar OAT experience.

I also follow Adventure Women (which was recommended on my Gutsy tour), but currently don't see anything that interests me there - but, I also have all of my trips "planned" for the next few years!! haha 

Another women only travel group that looks to have really interesting tours is Women Traveling Together.  I've never taken them nor know anyone who has, but it looks like they have some "experience" tours, like the Albuquerque Balloon Festival and Rose Parade (both sold out for 2017).  If they have it again next year and it fits into my budget, I may consider the balloon festival.  They have a lot of tours, but many are sold out already.

In some cases, you can pay extra for a solo room, but they will also provide room sharing services for a cost savings.

I've never heard of collete travel, but that doesn't mean anything.  I haven't heard of a lot of things!! LOL  There's probably plenty more women only groups.

As I haven't used all of the above mentioned groups, you should do your own research.  

Happy planning!!

Honored Contributor

I think most of the fun in traveling is sharing the experience with a companion. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I'd love to do that! I have gone alone to join a group for a tour in China and a hiking vacation in Ireland, but never completely alone overseas. 

I took a 2 week trip to the beach and found I was getting a little sick of myself. Maybe I am not outgoing enough.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much, you gave me many more options and I will google the group's now.

in your life!!!