Super Contributor

Re: Solo Travel and/or Traveling with Women Travel Groups

one more thing! I see cruises and tours that look great and would go alone, but the single supplements are outrageous!

Esteemed Contributor

@GusMo wrote:

one more thing! I see cruises and tours that look great and would go alone, but the single supplements are outrageous!

What's even crazier - some cruise lines have now added solo cabins (no supplement), but they aren't 1/2 the price of another cabin.  I've been lucky getting some good prices on them, but I've heard that some of the solo cabins are so popular that they are actually more expensive than if you pay the single supplement for a larger room!!

A few places occasionally waive the supplement or will have a room sharing arrangement, but I'm usually stuck paying for the supplement.

Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

Thank you so much, you gave me many more options and I will google the group's now.

You're welcome.  I did very very quickly look at Colette's website and it looks like they have plenty of nice trips.

Honored Contributor

Well of course it is but with no willing companion, why deny yourself?

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think most of the fun in traveling is sharing the experience with a companion. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish I did have a good friend who had the FUNDS to go, and the ABILITY TO GO and I'm not paying their way or lending large sums of money for them to go.  I'd prefer to take a "friend" or hubby.

My mother did that, she paid a lady's way to go on a spirit of whatever boat ride.  I prefer not to do that, I don't want to pay all the person's way for them to come. 

But life is not like that for me, so I have to decide am I going to go or just stay home?  Am I going to wait until hubby can go?  SO I'm looking into the travel groups. I have not committed to anything but it is NICE to know their are OPTIONS.

I did go on some of the sites and the single room rates are SUPER HIGH, Some of these groups are very expensive.  I'm going to have to really calculate if it is cheaper to go on my own with a cheap airfare and then book a sight seeing tour. 

But the fun of the group is, if you go to Paris for a week you have SOME COMPANY, you have somone to go to DINNER with, shop with, TALK WITH...

I can go to Chicago for 2-3 days alone but to go to Paris for one week ALONE is not  something that I want to DO!!!  Or to go to Ireland or on a 2 week cruise alone, that is not something I want to do.  My first choice is to go with hubby and I'm really going to try and book the trips far enough in advance that I can go with him.  Some of these group prices are so high it is almost unbelievable.  But the bottom line is, either a person wants to pay it and GO or they DONT!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

I travel solo a lot because friends and family are not available to travel as they have kids, etc.

I do not do group travel tours as I don't want to get stuck with annoying people for an entire trip.  What I do is book day tours, so I'm with a group for a particular tour.  So I get the experience of traveling with people but not having to be tied to them for the entire time.

I've found that people who travel for fun are generally outgoing, fun and inclusive, and I almost always get swept up into a group of people traveling together or some random couple.

Back at my hotel, I may run into people from the tour at breakfast or see familiar people on another tour or somewhere else.

It's the best of both worlds.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Ms. VaBelle- I honestly think I am leaning towards getting a cheap airfare and then booking day tours. Also I reallly don't want to be gone for 2 weeks, 10 days etc. my husband is dependent and it is just "US" so when the other is gone, you really miss the person. 

I looked at one ladies travel groups and the rooms were more reasonable for a double and they could pair you with someone.  I do not feel comfortable sharing a room, especially for several night with a TOTAL stranger.

The person might not like "ME" on site, and then want to move to another room, which would make the entire trip terrible.  So I will always rather have my own room unless I know the person.  But one particular ladies group I looked at the single room was like 4000 for US TRAVEL, I'm like WTH and that did not include your airfare, that was just the tours, hotel, meals.

I also cruise and some of the prices were higher than a 14 day cruise.  I have to continue to research but I'm leaning towards your method of travel.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm 73 and I began world travel at 21, so I've travelled as a single, as a couple and in a group; all were are great.  As a single I also was paired with the unknown roommates (several of my more interesting experiences were the result).  On two recent BIG trips I befriended lone travellers, and I wasn't the only one!  If you are interested in adventure/knowledge just Do It.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was working I often traveled to Anguilla alone but longer trips, I travel with my husband.  We like Tauck when we do group travel and we befriend many women traveling alone.  The groups seem to adopt single travelers and make sure they are always included.  My husband hates to drive so when we do independent travel without a group, we contact the concierge and hire a local guide with a car; it works well for us and we have seen places that are unusual and never included in tours.  As far as all women groups, I don't think that would be enjoyable for me and have never been.  

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB I understand where you're coming from.  I'm in my early 60s, the kids have been on their own now for some time and I'm at a stage of my life where I still feel great physically but one never knows what the future will bring.  So many people that I know who are in their 60s have come down with cancer or some other debilitating illness.  My husband is one of them.

He has an autoimmune illness but is well enough to do some things and his entire focus is now on his health.  As a result he retired early at 62.  So now I'm ready to go places and we've gone on a few trips which I am grateful for but there are many other places that I would like to visit....before I can't!

I would like to visit Ireland & Scotland next and my husband would like to go but he keeps saying that if only he felt better he would be more enthusiastic about it.  Well yes I understand but there is a chance that if we don't make the effort to try & go now or over  the next year or so we'll never have the opportunity again.

I think for you that it's a good idea for you to start out small...just try going domestically for a few days and see how you like it.  I also like the idea of a women's travel group which is something I can see myself considering although I would also prefer my own room.

Good luck to you & I hope that it all works out for you!