Esteemed Contributor

I have been to Paris a number of times over the years.  Paris is beautiful and exciting and Parisians are all over the spectrum and especially nice during a crisis (I was there during a general utility strike).  It is true that Parisians are different as a group than other French (kind of how those from NYC are different).  In any case, you are better off leaving it at "merci" and "au revoir" than speaking school girl French.  They usually speak some English.

Esteemed Contributor

If you take the High speed channel train you will be fine.  Half the time in London, half in Paris (with a hop on hop bus to begin each segment).

Occasional Contributor

I've been to Paris 7 times and have had a wonderful time each visit. The Parisians are more reserved than Americans yet I never really encountered anyone unfriendly. If you make an effort and attempt to speak their language, they really warm up to you.

I took my first trip in college and was the assistant tour guide for a while until they closed the French program at the university due to low enrollment.

I recommend a Rick Steves' Paris book. The man knows the shortcuts offers great tips. Definitely get a  museum pass. It will allow you access to a separate line or even to the front of the line (such as at Sainte-Chapelle. Enter the Musee du Louvre through the Palais Royal Musée du Louvre metro station. You will enter through the Carrousel du Louvre, which is a little shopping area with a food court. There is a tabac shop where you can purchase the museum pass. Or you can pay a bit more and purchase online. I also recommend getting a Carte Orange if you are staying a week. You will need to get a passport size photo (cut out) at Walgreens or such beforehand. The Carte Orange can be purchased at Gare du Nord, for example. It is probably the busiest train station. However, if you opt to just get a metro ticket, then ask for "un carnet de dix" and you'll get 10, which saves a bit of  money, I believe. Do not throw away your metro tickets until you actually exit the station. The guards do randomly check. If you do not have your ticket with you, then you will pay a fine.

On Wednesdays, the Louvre is open late. Great time to go. I would avoid Versailles on Tuesdays, when the majority of museums are closed. Everyone goes there and, in the past, I've had a good view of the ceiling and the head of the person in front of me. The gardens of Versailles are well worth a visit. Purchase your tickets to the Eiffel Tower online. The lines can be insane.

Some of my favorite memories are stumbling upon an amazing cafe or brasserie. We went to one brasseries near our hotel several times during our stay and the wait staff remembered us and greeted us like old friends. I'm gluten-free and the waiter would always have a good recommendation for me.

You don't need to be clad in head-to-toe black, but I'd avoid Hawaiian shirts and a camera around your neck. Smiley Happy

Have fun!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Paris anyone?

[ Edited ]

Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Now is the time to travel and the best season we have a fantastic exchange rate and the French do not have any animosity against the Americans.

Everyone speaks English.

You can browse Trip Advisor for hotels and so on.

I recommend the museum pass if you like art you will skip lines. The shopping is extraordinary, the food is also the best if you like pastries...well what can I say go!!!🌻I am European and maybe a little biased mais c'est Paris, La Cité des lumières

Occasional Contributor

Another good tip is to get the business card from your hotel (or jot down the address, phone number, nearest Metro stop) in a little notebook to keep with you. If you get lost, you'll have the address if you need to take a taxi, etc.

The Metro is the cheapest and, usually, most efficient way of getting around Paris. When on escalators or the moving walkways, remember to stand on the right, pass on the left. Smiley Happy

Paris is, by far, my favorite city. I have Celiac Disease so most pastries are off limits (save for macarons and anything at gluten-free Helmut Newcake), but they are a work of art. Next time I go, I'm planning on having a picnic by the Eiffel Tower.

The Bateaux-Mouche (boat rides) are a great way to see Paris as you meander down the Seine. After dark is beautiful. Just a heads-up, I believe they are installing a fence with a metal detector at the Eiffel Tower.

I can't say enough good things about the city. Politeness is key. WHen you enter a shop, restaurant, etc, say "Bonjour." And then "Au revoir" when leaving. Say "s'il vous plait" and "merci".

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited to say:

@itiswhatitis

HAHAHAHAHA

I just saw that this is an old thread someone dredged up.  I deleted all the "advice" I wrote before I realized that. 

Did you go? 

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis - I'm going to give you a few of my impressions from  when I was there as a student for a semester during college. I actually studied in Grenoble, but we spent a week in Paris before going to the university, and two weeks again right before we left to come home. It was a while ago!

As many have said, Paris at night is beautiful. I went everywhere by subway and found it easy to follow.

The place we stayed was right next to Les Invalides (Napoleon's tomb). I loved to sit at the cafe and people watch, and nobody hurried us along. My standard lunch order was "sandwich jambon" (ham sandwich). I LOVED the breakfast pastries - so good! 

If you order water, be sure to ask for "natural," or they will give you bottled and you will be charged!

Even back then some Parisians were not that friendly to Americans. They didn't like gum chewing, and they DID like it if you tried to speak a little French even if you couldn't. Sometimes I bungled asking for directions, but everyone was always patient with me. 

Try to visit the flea market - "Les Puces" - it's a lot of fun!

I was just a student, so I didn't shop much, but I got to visit a lot of the historical sites and hang out at some of them. It was an amazing time, and if I had the chance, I'd definitely go back, and I'd like to take DH with me! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

Edited to say:

@itiswhatitis

HAHAHAHAHA

I just saw that this is an old thread someone dredged up.  I deleted all the "advice" I wrote before I realized that. 

Did you go? 

@LinaL no not yet.  Your advice would have been fine.  Put it back please???? Pretty please?  LOL......

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@brando thank you for the excellent advice about the card.  Makes perfect sense....

*Call Tyrone*
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis

Actually, I misspoke. It isn't really advice-- just observations. 

I love Paris...in the springtime. I love Paris in the fall. I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles.........
Yes. Been many times. For extended periods.
You're okay if you know:
Bonjour
Merci
S'il vous plaît
They appreciate you just trying to speak a little. Most people will speak English after you've done them the courtesy of saying hello in French (I'm fluent but my friends & SO weren't and they did fine) and explaining you don't speak it. It's a beautiful city, especially at night. The lights.
August can get hot and humid (Parisians try to get away during August), but the rest of the year is milder (lessee extreme) than NYC.
Be careful in the Metro (subway). Pickpockets. They try to jam up right behind you.
I agree with the positive comments others have made.

As far as restaurants go, I find that it's no different than NYC. Some are great, some are awful, some are average.

You can split 8 days between Paris and London, but I'd rather stay in Paris the whole time. That's just me. But I understand if it's your first time to either.

Les croissants! Mon Dieu!

Can I go with you?

P.S. Give Monsieur Macron a kiss for me. Heart