Respected Contributor

Paris is my favorite city in the world, been there 4 times and hopfully will go again.

I can sign under every word of those who left their positive reviews here. Totally agree. You should go. Get some guide books, Rick Steve's or the others. Learn some frases,just to be polite and friendly. And they love manners and dislike loud and obnoxious people. 

Super Contributor

Ahhhhhhhh Paris.  There is nothing like experiencing the city - and the first time - especially for me was magical.  The history. The ambiance.  Food. Museums. Galleries.  The neighborhood outdoor cafes. Just take the same cautions in Paris that you would in any big city in the US and enjoy yourself.  Be patient and polite and people will treat you the same for the most part. The subway is easy and economical. For me, half the fun is planning your trip.  Be prepared for lines at major tour places if you do not prebuy your ticket.  Most likely your hotel has staff available to help.  Do not be deterred.  Just make up your mind your visit to Paris will be an adventure and roll with it.  And one last thing, I have planned trips all over the world using Trip Advisor and books like Rick Steve's to make decisions on hotels, restaurants, and sights to see.  If you want to plan your own trip, those resources are reliable and they help you focus. 

Esteemed Contributor

I live in Italy part time and have visited most parts of Europe.  Paris many years ago was not as welcoming as it is today.  It has become very diverse so knowing French is not essential but Pariseans usually welcome you trying a little French.  But, some older French people don't appreciate you mispronouncing their words and can get a little testy.  But, on the whole, Paris is lovely, friendly and romantic....great little cafes and fabulous restaurants and shopping.  The city is beautiful, especially at night.  As for dirty, most big popular cities are but that's because of tourism not the French.  The hotels are top notch and establishments are clean and owners take great pride in their businesses.  Everyone I know who visits Paris loves it.  It has changed in many ways, some good, some bad....we can say that about any country or city in the world, including our own.  If you are exploring Europe, Paris is a must see and not to be missed...if you have time, Provence, is just a wonderful place to visit. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tshirtgal wrote:

Ahhhhhhhh Paris.  There is nothing like experiencing the city - and the first time - especially for me was magical.  The history. The ambiance.  Food. Museums. Galleries.  The neighborhood outdoor cafes. Just take the same cautions in Paris that you would in any big city in the US and enjoy yourself.  Be patient and polite and people will treat you the same for the most part. The subway is easy and economical. For me, half the fun is planning your trip.  Be prepared for lines at major tour places if you do not prebuy your ticket.  Most likely your hotel has staff available to help.  Do not be deterred.  Just make up your mind your visit to Paris will be an adventure and roll with it.  And one last thing, I have planned trips all over the world using Trip Advisor and books like Rick Steve's to make decisions on hotels, restaurants, and sights to see.  If you want to plan your own trip, those resources are reliable and they help you focus. 

Thank you @Tshirtgal.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

DH and I went to Paris a couple of years ago and fell in love with the city.  It was everything that I had imagined and then some.  Mother's Day Mass at Notre Dame was surreal for me (not even Catholic), an opera at Palais Garnier, shopping along Champs Elysees,  outdoor cafes, Sacre-Coeur, touring Versailles, Eiffel Tower (not a fan), macarons, love lock bridge (which they have removed all of the locks), and The Louvre.  What a wonderful visit for me and maybe one day we will go back.  When I see the unrest there now, it makes me sad.  We never felt any anonymosity at all and really felt safe.  Of course we took precautions like we do when we travel.

Honored Contributor

Re: Paris anyone?

[ Edited ]

@sweetee2 wrote:

We are going to Europe in May. 7 countries, 17 days and Paris is on the list. Can't wait. 

@sweetee2 I really hope you will post while you are there. We would love to hear what you are doing; and if you can post photos too, that would be awesome! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Paris anyone?

[ Edited ]

I have been to Paris several times, most recently in December, 2016.  I have never experienced an anti-American atmosphere.  I've found if you are polite anywhere you go, the politeness is returned.

I do speak a little French but found almost everywhere in Paris, English was spoken.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis   I went to Paris about ten years ago. It was a three-day stop over on my way to Barcelona for a business trip. I managed to pack as much into that three days as possible. Since I was alone in a foreign county I booked two tours. The first one was to see the city by night. The tour guide asked as soon as I boarded the van if she could bring me back to my hotel last. It was supposed to be one of those "first in first out" deals but she confided to me that the area where we were heading to pick up a party of eight was not in the best part of the city. Even though she wasn't necessarily afraid to go there, she didn't want to be leaving the area alone late at night. I agreed to be dropped off last. That turned out to be a great decision because the tour guide ended up taking me through some residential areas and I got to see much more of the city than I would have without that lovely lady.

I also took a shopping tour and didn't realize until the last stop when that guide said "thanks and good bye" that I was miles away from my hotel and didn't have a clue how to get back. I was going to take a taxi but the guide pointed out the train station and told me to just ask the person who was working which train to take. When I finished shopping, I went to the train station and discovered that I actually needed to take two trains. After hearing that, I thanked the person and said I would just take a taxi. There was a woman behind me. She said she was going to be riding the exact trains I needed and would make sure I got off at the right final stop. When we boarded the second train she made this announcement that I was her friend from America and she wanted to make sure I got back to my hotel. She asked if anyone was getting off at the stop I needed. This young couple stepped forward. They walked with me until I was about a block away from the hotel and it was in plain sight. I was blown away by the actions of these people ~ talk about the kindness of strangers. I have to admit that their example made me become a more responsive representative of my city when people approach me and ask for directions or recommendations.

I love Paris - especially at night when it's all lit up. It's on my list of places to which I wish to return. I would suggest knowing a few words/expressions in french. People usually appreciate you making the effort to speak to them in their native language.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tique, what an amazing story!  How wonderful for you.  Thanks for sharing with us.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

I have been to Paris 21 times. I adore it. The spirit of the most beautiful city in the world is permanently embedded in my soul. I hate to see the terrorist acts and threats that have hurt the city. It remains a fantastic place to visit. Go to all the famous tourists sites but get lost in the little side streets and walk as much as you can. Eat foods you've never heard of. Chances are they will be deliciously memorable. I speak French, which has enriched my experiences in France but Parisians speak English in many places. Just be extra polite. Remember to say "Bonjour Monsieur" or "Madame" before engaging in conversation. Always say "Merci" (Thanks) and "S'il vous plaît" (Please) and you'll be all set. Bon voyage.