Respected Contributor

Has anyone taken a Grand Canyon bus tour using Caravan Tours?  

We have never been to the Grand Canyon and rather than doing all the research on where to go, etc. we're considering going with a tour company (fly to Arizona, bus tour for a week and then fly home from Las Vegas). Their prices seem the most reasonable of the tour companies I've researched. 

Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Grand Canyon Caravan Tour

[ Edited ]

@itsmagic  Hi - I was born and raised in Arizona and have been to the Grand Canyon many times.  You can take the Grand Canyon Railway tour (I highly recommend it).  You travel by railway from Williams, AZ to the Grand Canyon.  It is a lot of fun and there are places to stay if you are planning a lengthy stay.  I had never taken the railway tour before and I would definitely do it again. Smiley Happy  I have never taken the Caravan tour.

Honored Contributor

I have been to see the Grand Canyon quite a few times and it is amazing.  I never get tired of seeing it.

Every  time I went, we flew into Las Vegas, rented a car and drove there making a stop at Hoover Dam.  My best experience was when we stayed in a historic Bright Angel cabin.  It was really close to the rim and we enjoyed the sunsets at night and the sun rising in the early morning.  Really breathtaking.  The deer and squirrels are really tame and walk right up to you.

Twice we booked a room at one of the other motels on the property.  They were nice too.

i have never taken the train, but that is on my bucket list.  I would suggest that you spend more than a few hours, there, there is so much to enjoy. Some of those tours that leave from Vegas are not overnight trips.  I would not recommend a day trip. You really should stay over.

You can book rooms at the National Park website.  Take warm clothing.  We were once there in May and it was freezing and snowing.

I have been there in September, so beautiful and July when the weather was warmer during the daytime and cooler at night.

Honored Contributor

I did 2 different tours of the Grand Canyon when I went.

I did the railway tour, as mentioned above.  This went to the main National Park side of the Canyon (The Brady Bunch side, as I refer to it LOL).

I also did the West side, the Reservation.  I booked the Grand Canyon West tour with Papillon which was a Cessna plane ride to Grand Canyon West, a helicopter ride to the bottom of the canyon and a pontoon boat ride down the Colorado River.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I did 2 different tours of the Grand Canyon when I went.

I did the railway tour, as mentioned above.  This went to the main National Park side of the Canyon (The Brady Bunch side, as I refer to it LOL).

I also did the West side, the Reservation.  I booked the Grand Canyon West tour with Papillon which was a Cessna plane ride to Grand Canyon West, a helicopter ride to the bottom of the canyon and a pontoon boat ride down the Colorado River.

Wow, that sounds exciting!  I almost took the tour on a donkey at Bright Angel, but chickened out.  Your way seems more my style.

Respected Contributor

Oh my @VaBelle35. I'm not sure I'm ready for a helicopter ride to the bottom of the canyon! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We drove to Sedona and took an all day Pink Jeep tour to the Grand Canyon. Really enjoyed it, next time we'll visit the North Rim. 

Honored Contributor

I spent 2 days in Sedona on my trip as well.  It was a business trip to Phoenix, so I spent the week before at the Grand Canyon for 3 days and 2 days in Sedona and then driving back and forth to Phoenix.

Stopped in Flagstaff as well briefly.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

I have taken a Canyonland tour twice with Tauck tours. You may want to compare the itinerary.  I loved it.  Service and tour guides were fabulous both times.  The best part is you see Grand Canyon, Sedona, oak creek canyon, Bryce park, Zion park, and so much more.  Plenty of stops to make the day interesting.  They pick up your luaage every morning so no lugging the suitcase.  Order what you want from the restaurant menus - just sign the ticket.  No tuna surprise casseroles in the buffet line every day.  Very nice. And, customer reviews are good.  It is worth looking into. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Tshirtgal. I will look into that tour as well.