Honored Contributor

Re: Where did they come up with this ugly bathing suit?

@AuntG wrote:

What I find ironic is the timing of this TSV.  People who are preparing to shovel snow aren't going to be watching swimsuit presentations.  The hosts can spin it any way they like, but this will be a dud.

I would beg to differ.  Spring break around here is 2 weeks away and I know several people right now shopping for swimsuits and summer clothes for beach getaways.

I myself just ordered 2 swimsuits, not from QVC though.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I wonder whether those who have posted some of the egregiously insulting and downright cruel comments here would have the audacity to say such things to a person's face.

It's the same people over and over again.  It's not enough that they just say they don't like it. 

Honored Contributor

@MRSTH wrote:

It is everyone's right to use subjective language. That's what opinions are. Like it or not, we're all entitled to ours. I don't understand people who think they are entitled to determine what people are allowed to think or feel, or, who are threatened by others' opinions.  Commenting on an article of clothing that is presented on air is not attacking a person or insulting them to their face. This is a false equivalence.

I see all shapes and sizes at the beach from extremely thin to extremely obese; from very young to very old-- wearing bikinis, one-pieces, rompers, shorts & tees. Some very old and/or obese wearing bikinis and speedos. Some young and fit, more covered up. They all look fine to me. I don't judge people's bodies. I don't believe in age or weight requirements to wear or not wear specific articles of clothing.

The prints are hideous. The models looked better in the "before" pictures. In last night's 2-hour show, many suits were shown.  Most flattered all the models of varying sizes and shapes. Many had beautiful prints. Most covered just as well.
This particular TSV suit is frumpy and unflattering on all the models I saw. 

ETA. That baby-doll one is awful, too.  Same designer/company as TSV.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

This is just an excuse to be rude.

If you don't know the difference between simply saying you don't like something and being so insulting as to ask who is desperate enough to wear something like this, then I don't know what to say.

It's time to stop making excuses for the rudeness and stop hiding behind the mantra of "everyone is entitled to their opinion."    If that's the way you want to roll, then expect to be called out for being rude.  I"m entitle to think that and say it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's cute. If I went swimming I would buy it.
Respected Contributor

I've suspected it for some time  now, reading these forums, but this thread has convinced me: "Cute" is QVC-poster-speak for "I might not like it either, but I'm not going to join in with the meanies who are trashing it, so I'll say something meaninglessly positive because I'm nice."  Runner-up word: darling.

QVC's U.S. division does nearly $1.5B annually, if not more. They can take our feedback on the chin. We should be able to speak plainly here. It's not Facebook.

There is one point that may be fueling the negativity you see, which is that whenever QVC gives us something many feel is a fashion loser, they'v wasted an opportunity to give us something we'd like and could wear. The long-sleeved T-shirt with peplum took the spot that could have gone to a well-made classic in interesting colors or a really edgy top. The snoozer anorak could have been something snazzy that was actually long enough to protect against the rain. Today's offering could have been a genuinely flattering swimsuit that maybe not every person could wear, but most would look good in. Opportunity after opportunity wasted. It's vexing.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@MRSTH wrote:

It is everyone's right to use subjective language. That's what opinions are. Like it or not, we're all entitled to ours. I don't understand people who think they are entitled to determine what people are allowed to think or feel, or, who are threatened by others' opinions.  Commenting on an article of clothing that is presented on air is not attacking a person or insulting them to their face. This is a false equivalence.

I see all shapes and sizes at the beach from extremely thin to extremely obese; from very young to very old-- wearing bikinis, one-pieces, rompers, shorts & tees. Some very old and/or obese wearing bikinis and speedos. Some young and fit, more covered up. They all look fine to me. I don't judge people's bodies. I don't believe in age or weight requirements to wear or not wear specific articles of clothing.

The prints are hideous. The models looked better in the "before" pictures. In last night's 2-hour show, many suits were shown.  Most flattered all the models of varying sizes and shapes. Many had beautiful prints. Most covered just as well.
This particular TSV suit is frumpy and unflattering on all the models I saw. 

ETA. That baby-doll one is awful, too.  Same designer/company as TSV.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

This is just an excuse to be rude.

If you don't know the difference between simply saying you don't like something and being so insulting as to ask who is desperate enough to wear something like this, then I don't know what to say.

It's time to stop making excuses for the rudeness and stop hiding behind the mantra of "everyone is entitled to their opinion."    If that's the way you want to roll, then expect to be called out for being rude.  I"m entitle to think that and say it. 

@Lipstickdiva, I'm afraid you and I and a few others are spitting in the wind here.

Some always fall back on their right to voice their opinion while conveniently ignoring the posts that blatantly ARE insulting people via their clothing choice versus just stating their opinion about the item.

And honestly, it doesn't matter at all whether you who are being so rude are overweight yourselves. That in no way mitigates your words.

Yes, you are allowed to be obnoxious here; but don't expect it to go unmentioned or unchallenged.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I often like (and buy) something that the cool kids think is a dud.  I take it with a grain of salt.  I know it can hurt your feelings and make you re-think your purchase, but I try not to let it bother me.  Everyone has an opinion.  And every once in a while the naysayers point out something that I hadn't noticed, and I change my mind and cancel.

I try to go with the flow.  Life's too short to be in a snit.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I've suspected it for some time  now, reading these forums, but this thread has convinced me: "Cute" is QVC-poster-speak for "I might not like it either, but I'm not going to join in with the meanies who are trashing it, so I'll say something meaninglessly positive because I'm nice."  Runner-up word: darling.

QVC's U.S. division does nearly $1.5B annually, if not more. They can take our feedback on the chin. We should be able to speak plainly here. It's not Facebook.

There is one point that may be fueling the negativity you see, which is that whenever QVC gives us something many feel is a fashion loser, they'v wasted an opportunity to give us something we'd like and could wear. The long-sleeved T-shirt with peplum took the spot that could have gone to a well-made classic in interesting colors or a really edgy top. The snoozer anorak could have been something snazzy that was actually long enough to protect against the rain. Today's offering could have been a genuinely flattering swimsuit that maybe not every person could wear, but most would look good in. Opportunity after opportunity wasted. It's vexing.

Oh, the horror. I'd take that meaningless nicety any day over "If you're a pagoda and you want to go swimming, you're in luck" or "Who is so desperate to swim  that they would wear this in public? "

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

I couldn't agree more. The models look much better in the "before" shots...the afters make them look huge! I feel sorry for those poor girls having to smile through their pain! Not only is it an nflattering style but the prints are hideous. I don't get where some people think that adding loose material makes you look thinner...it doesn't. You're better off with something that fits close to the body than adding a bunch of ruffles. Ugh...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

I often like (and buy) something that the cool kids think is a dud.  I take it with a grain of salt.  I know it can hurt your feelings and make you re-think your purchase, but I try not to let it bother me.  Everyone has an opinion.  And every once in a while the naysayers point out something that I hadn't noticed, and I change my mind and cancel.

I try to go with the flow.  Life's too short to be in a snit.

@faeriemoon, I can't imagine your saying a couple of the comments I've read here.

To get personal for a moment, I wouldn't be interested in this bathing suit for three reasons: I don't buy clothes here; I don't like the way the skin on my body looks at this point; but most important, I am too skinny, not a good look at my age.

So I'm not even in the affected category, since I'm not interested in buying the suit. But it just pains this old precious snowflake to think about someone  out there who is excited about ordering something, only to come here and read the particular comments I homed in on earlier.

Why can't people express their opinion without such remarks?