Honored Contributor

Re: Where did they come up with this ugly bathing suit?

When I was younger, I wore wedge sandals with my bathing suits.

Spike heels are not good for any outside walking

You can't walk a boardwalk in spike heels.

I had nice long legs, the wedge gave me the look I wanted plus the ability to actually walk.

@Perkup wrote:

I guess I'm in the NO, I WOULD NOT WEAR IT category.  I like suits that cover up some of my 82 year old "figure".  But this one is a little over the top for me.  Too puffy.  I would wear something similar, but would rather see a little less ruffle, and maybe a different top, with wider straps. I'd get very tired of that tie pulling around my neck. Just MHO. 

Question, though.  Those poor models in the 4 inch heels!  Do any of you wear those with your swimwear?  I can't imagine wandering around the pool area in spikes. To me they look unnatural with a bathing suit.

Respected Contributor

If you're a pagoda and you want to go swimming, you're in luck.

Honored Contributor

I wonder whether those who have posted some of the egregiously insulting and downright cruel comments here would have the audacity to say such things to a person's face.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GSPgirl wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

What I find ironic is the timing of this TSV.  People who are preparing to shovel snow aren't going to be watching swimsuit presentations.  The hosts can spin it any way they like, but this will be a dud.

Some of us buy swimsuits all year round because we go to the pool all year round.  Geesh.  You people amaze me on this board.  Negative, negative, negative.

I know!!

As if the Q has control over the weather too! Not only that there are parts of the country where snow is not an issue.   How ridiculous!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I wonder whether those who have posted some of the egregiously insulting and downright cruel comments here would have the audacity to say such things to a person's face.

@Hats off to this comment- I'm SURE you know it's rhetorical @SuZyQ!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is everyone's right to use subjective language. That's what opinions are. Like it or not, we're all entitled to ours. I don't understand people who think they are entitled to determine what people are allowed to think or feel, or, who are threatened by others' opinions.  Commenting on an article of clothing that is presented on air is not attacking a person or insulting them to their face. This is a false equivalence.

I see all shapes and sizes at the beach from extremely thin to extremely obese; from very young to very old-- wearing bikinis, one-pieces, rompers, shorts & tees. Some very old and/or obese wearing bikinis and speedos. Some young and fit, more covered up. They all look fine to me. I don't judge people's bodies. I don't believe in age or weight requirements to wear or not wear specific articles of clothing.

The prints are hideous. The models looked better in the "before" pictures. In last night's 2-hour show, many suits were shown.  Most flattered all the models of varying sizes and shapes. Many had beautiful prints. Most covered just as well.
This particular TSV suit is frumpy and unflattering on all the models I saw. 

ETA. That baby-doll one is awful, too.  Same designer/company as TSV.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

Respected Contributor

@MRSTH wrote:

It is everyone's right to use subjective language. That's what opinions are. Like it or not, we're all entitled to ours. I don't understand people who think they are entitled to determine what people are allowed to think or feel, or, who are threatened by others' opinions.  Commenting on an article of clothing that is presented on air is not attacking a person or insulting them to their face. This is a false equivalence.

The prints are hideous. The models looked better in the "before" pictures. In last night's 2-hour show, many suits were shown.  Most flattered all the models of varying sizes and shapes. Many had beautiful prints. Most covered just as well.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

I saw a brief clip from the on-air presentation showing a lovely athletic woman in a two-piece in one photo, and next to it, wearing the pagoda swimdress. She looked much better in the modest, body-revealing but not vulgar two-piece than the gaudy schmatta. 

I'm calling out the TSV, not the models, not the bodies. AFAIC, it's not doing much for anyone. Ironically, it actually proves the point that body-fitting attire is more flattering to big bodies than loose garments, which often make you look even bigger. It's like a swim version of a mu-mu in a loud print. It just calls attention to how big you are.

If there are people who like it, hooray, you've got a new swimdress. But that doesn't change how it looks to others, and it doesn't mean we have to pipe down about it.

Honored Contributor

Everyone has different tastes; come one, come all.  It doesn't bother me in the least if someone has a vastly different opinion in fashion from mine. 

I'm watching Jennifer wear it in her show right now.  I still think it's quite cute.  But even if I didn't think it looked good on her, I'd still like it a lot.  Funny how that works.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I agree this is so frumpy.  Who is so desperate to swim  that they would wear this in public? 

ME!  I am very happy and fine with wearing something like that to a pool or the beach.  I am way more confident than to be worried about that.  

I am not out competing with other women or men for that matter for self esteem about something as silly as this suit.  There's way more about life to be concerned over.  I don't count my self worth on a bathing suit. . . I am way more desperate to swim than desperate (NOT) about what someone at the pool thinks about my bathing suit!!!!!!  Yes I am!  

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@MRSTH wrote:

I saw a brief clip from the on-air presentation showing a lovely athletic woman in a two-piece in one photo, and next to it, wearing the pagoda swimdress. She looked much better in the modest, body-revealing but not vulgar two-piece than the gaudy schmatta. 

I'm calling out the TSV, not the models, not the bodies. AFAIC, it's not doing much for anyone. Ironically, it actually proves the point that body-fitting attire is more flattering to big bodies than loose garments, which often make you look even bigger. It's like a swim version of a mu-mu in a loud print. It just calls attention to how big you are.

If there are people who like it, hooray, you've got a new swimdress. But that doesn't change how it looks to others, and it doesn't mean we have to pipe down about it.

No nobody has to pipe down and I think you are 100 percent wrong in issuing a blanket statement that body-fitting attire is more flattering to big bodies than loose garmets.  Everyone is different, everyone is shaped differently and has different body issues.  Why on earth would thinnk that statement is the final word on what ALL big bodies should wear?  That is laughable. I'm not sure the gaudy schmatta is the better look always than the sausage casing attire I see so often. . . LOL!!!!!!