Honored Contributor

It looks as though we've upgraded to a super flashlight this year.  Fill up those gift drawers, but you'll have to arrange financing to buy all the "D" batteries this thing requires.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Upgrade Flashlight

[ Edited ]

Say what you will, but if this is the same as the one I have, it's a great lantern.  I got a version of this 3 or 4 years ago.  I can't remember now if it was a TSV, & I think mine was $15 or $20 less.  I got all the batteries on sale & also used coupons; they're all still good.  Taking one off to use as a flashlight or task light is very handy.  Every time family members come over, I have to hide it or else it would get lifted.  I didn't have all those color choices, but that's not important to me.

Would I buy this one now?  Probably not at this price.  Nevertheless, I'm happy with the one I have.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

This is a nice product, but expensive. You can find this online for a better price. A flashlight needing 8 batteries is a lot.

I have regular a flashlight  that needs 2D batteries. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not even checking the price elsewhere, but I do know that if I had a place to store the TSV in my little apartment, I'd buy it or something similar in a NY minute.

I have several little flashlights as well as one that takes those 2 D batteies and still on dark nights wish I had more power. 

Honored Contributor

Laugh all you want about giving flashlights as gifts, but I'd rather have those than soaps and perfumes and scarves and shirts and belts and books someone else chooses or restaurant gift cards and I could go on and on.

It's not that I don't want any of the items I mentioned, I just want to pick them out myself.  The lights?  I don't care what someone chooses for me.

Besides, I think QVC gets the last laugh because they always seem to sell plenty of those even though now minis are available at every checkout counter at every hardware store and Office Depot and probably plenty of places I never go. 

Honored Contributor

I purchased one of these lanterns 3 or 4 years ago from a local store.  It is wonderful!

We have used it many, many times both as one whole unit and taken apart  using the small units.  Believe it or not, we are still using the eight batteries we originally put in it. 

It's worth every dollar.  I am so glad to own one.  I love the new colors too.

Frequent Contributor

I have a Coleman lamp that requires D batteries.  It's nothing like the TSV, but I've had it four or five years and have never had to change the batteries.  It sure came in handy when my neighbor's house burned down and the electricity went out. 

I went ahead and bought two of these as Christmas gifts.  One for my brother and his family who like to go camping, and one for my dad who is a always working late into the night.  I think the are practical gifts.  Like the other poster said, I would rather have something like this that I will actually use than clothes or beauty products.  

Honored Contributor

I ordered one.  To make fun of myself a little, I'm always preparing for winter storms, which we don't often get in Atlanta. But, I lived here in 1973 (yes, 1973) and we had a massive ice storm and my family was without power for 7 days. None of us who went through that have ever forgotten it. I'm always preparing for the next big storm. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I bought last years version of this light when it was the TSV then and I LOVE it.  It's the perfect size, casts plenty of light and the ability to break away the panels to individual lights and then put them back on the base has come in handy often when the whole family has gotten together for camping or even just a late night of fun in the backyard.  As others have posted, the batteries last a long time.  I haven't had to replace mine yet and it's not dimmed a bit.

As for price - I haven't checked this years, but last year people were posting about it being cheaper elsewhere, but when I checked it wasn't the same model number and didn't have the dimmable feature that the one I bought did.

Respected Contributor

I use a lot of rechargable batteries myself.  With exception of kids playing with them, one doesn't use up batteries that often.   If I didn't use rechargables I'd spend more on my wireless mouse and keyboard than I ever did on a flashlight.

The little ones that you put in kids stockings are great. As well as cheap.  Kids love them and will more than likely break or lose them long before they have to replace the batteries. 

I have flashlights all over the place you never know when you'll need one.  IMO you can never have too many.

I've had several of these for for over 2 years and have never had to replace the batteries in them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*