Esteemed Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Sandgirl said:
On 4/7/2015 tough_kitty said: BTW, Amazon offers "easy pay" on Kindles now too, plus free shipping. The only extra you get here is the cover....

I couldn't find this on Amazon, can you provide a link maybe? THANK YOU!

I would like the link, too....Thank you...

Honored Contributor

It really does depend upon what you want the tablet to do for you - another example of buyers needing to know before they go.

The 8gb is fine for me until I decide to do way more than I do now, but that's really not who I am or what my life is like. Just as with my computer, less is better for me. Everyone certainly does not need the top of the line just as everyone won't be pleased with less.

Regular Contributor

I purchased an HDX model and Amazon replaced it twice because when I tried to read books, there was an annoying fluorescent blue glare around the edges of my screen which was causing my eyes to dry out. Amazon admitted that some of the HDX's had this problem so they refunded my money. I wouldn't be interested in any of the HDX models due to this problem. I think since Amazon lets you store content in the Cloud, that this is a good price for someone interested in a Kindle Fire tablet. I went with a Kindle paperwhite for reading books and this HD is really tempting me!

Super Contributor

I'm not very tech savvy so pardon me if I ask dumb questions. I have a very old laptop which I use mainly for email and internet searching/shopping. It is very slow. I have a smart phone which I only use for calls and texting. I'm not really interested in playing games or even in reading on a gadget as I prefer real books. I'm trying to decide if this would be a good solution to be instead of replaying laptop or until I can get a better laptop.

What happens when the 30 days of free Amazon Prime expires? What capabilities would I lose? How much does it cost to continue Amazon Prime? Will the images on this screen be enough larger and clearer to make it better for shopping and browsing Pinterest, etc. than my phone?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

I just went to Amazon to do some comparison....The TSV is really a good purchase....

While I really do not need another tablet...I have two...different brands...thinking of trying the Kindle....

Respected Contributor
On 4/7/2015 vancouverUSAgal said:

I'm not very tech savvy so pardon me if I ask dumb questions. I have a very old laptop which I use mainly for email and internet searching/shopping. It is very slow. I have a smart phone which I only use for calls and texting. I'm not really interested in playing games or even in reading on a gadget as I prefer real books. I'm trying to decide if this would be a good solution to be instead of replaying laptop or until I can get a better laptop.

What happens when the 30 days of free Amazon Prime expires? What capabilities would I lose? How much does it cost to continue Amazon Prime? Will the images on this screen be enough larger and clearer to make it better for shopping and browsing Pinterest, etc. than my phone?

No worries, we are ALL on diff. levels when it comes to all these things!

Amazon Prime is 99 per year and is OPTIONAL (NOT REQUIRED) - You won't lose any capabilities once it expires.

You can adjust the screen to make things larger on the screen.

I think it would be GREAT for what you are looking to do on it. My step mom is 71, I got her one for her Bday in January and she was like you - used her phone for phone calls and small texting and she LOVES her Kindle. I really do think you will like it and it won't cost you ANYTHING to keep using it after Prime expires so don't worry about that.

I have Prime and pay for it yearly but I order a lot from Amazon and enjoy the FREE 2 day shipping I get with Prime, that's the only reason I have/love Prime.

Hope that helps!

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Sandgirl said:
On 4/7/2015 vancouverUSAgal said:

No worries, we are ALL on diff. levels when it comes to all these things!

Amazon Prime is 99 per year and is OPTIONAL (NOT REQUIRED) - You won't lose any capabilities once it expires.

You can adjust the screen to make things larger on the screen.

I think it would be GREAT for what you are looking to do on it. My step mom is 71, I got her one for her Bday in January and she was like you - used her phone for phone calls and small texting and she LOVES her Kindle. I really do think you will like it and it won't cost you ANYTHING to keep using it after Prime expires so don't worry about that.

I have Prime and pay for it yearly but I order a lot from Amazon and enjoy the FREE 2 day shipping I get with Prime, that's the only reason I have/love Prime.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for your help!

Frequent Contributor

I have a larger capacity Kindle tablet that I bought some time ago from QVC, and I really like it. I'm not exactly a technical genius (what an understatement! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}), and the Kindle has been very easy for me to use.

Keep in mind that the "special value" of the April 7th TSV probably means that it comes with "Special Offers," which is advertising on your lock screen and possibly at other times. It costs an extra $10, $15 or so to eliminate the ads (on Kindle website). I haven't read the complete product description of the TSV so am not certain whether it includes Special Offers. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Esteemed Contributor

How annoying are the ads on the Kindle??? I don't have any on my Nook...and my Samsung only does it once when I first sign on...

I bought a tablet...not sure what kind...but the ads were continuous and I sent it back...

Anyone able to let me know how often they pop up....TIA...

Occasional Contributor

I was a bit surprised that the shipping was $9.22!!