Honored Contributor

Re: Enough of the Christmas stuff already!!!!!!

I hate Christmas in July, August, September, October.   I haven't watched even 1 minute of a Christmas show.  I don't even go down aisles in stores that are decorated until November (at least, and sometimes not then).   

Contributor

April you might want to check the program guide or website and not watch when those shows are on. A lot of us like those shows and it helps to shop early so we don't feel so rushed when the holidays get here and we can actually enjoy them. Have a good day.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

first of all, not everyone celebrates xmas.

that said, i have no problem spending money, but i don't celebrate any holiday by virtue of how much i can buy, the amount i can spend, or that i can buy it a half a year earlier than need be.  i leave the thought and the giving more so for birthdays and such...more personal, as far as i'm concerned, and i'm able to deliver much more substance than sum in the give. it's seems to be more directly appreciated.  i'm not a complete "scrooge" however...the children receive xmas/chanukah gifts...but just the children. i love the look in their eyes, and i do feel the spirit of the holiday in them.  

retailers (qvc and the like) are not interested in the surprise in anyones eyes. it's become obscene and irritating when so overdone, and done, and done...  

i like enjoying my days one at a time, a holiday one meaning at a time, and giving gifts when they actually mean something.  

competitive, hard sell shopping and the one-upsmanship in the give take any holiday to another level...forced and obligatory, if you will. not the level i'm comfortable on.  i feel like i'm watching hair tonic salesman jump from the back of one truck to another. i do find myself turning the channel off more often than i turn it on lately. too bad. jmo.

Honored Contributor

This complaint is boring, too. I've been seeing it since July and it shows up every year.  Same story and nothing happens.

I don't blame QVC at all.  I blame the people who buy just as with anything else I don't care to see.  Two hours after buyers disappear, so will the shows.

Those who have had enough Christmas already might as well watch the weather channel for a few months -  it's Christmas everywhere else.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you don't like the Christmas shows, then turn the channel to something else; such a simple solution. Smiley Happy

I am one of those who buys for Christmas throughout the year. I used to do everything during December and found it more stressful than I wanted it to be.....it was not enjoyable.

So in January I start purchasing any extra decorations I might need for at least 70% off and sometimes more. The items are still in the box, so they are in good condition.

I make purchases for family and friends throughout the year as I see things I believe they would want. And I usually can find great sales on the items I want for them.  I just stash the gifts away and leave the wrapping of presents until December, when it is truly a fun thing to do!

I've been doing it this way for years and find I enjoy Christmas more because of less stress, rushing around at the last minute, etc. Then if I have time, I like to go to the malls to see how pretty all the stores have been decorated.

QVC having Christmas items for special pricing is a good thng. I did not tire of it in July nor do I tire of it now. Beats last-minute shopping with crowds!

Respected Contributor

You may be new to QVC but this is the norm.  They start in October selling for the Christmas season.  By the way, so does every other B&M retailer.  Our local Walmart has had their Christmas decor out for two weeks.  They started displaying Halloween decor and candy right after Labor Day.  They sort of just skip right over Thanksgiving, which I happen to love.  I do understand your point of view and I agree but I have learned how to ignore it all. 

Honored Contributor

I agree and just don't watch the shows.  I however, can't believe they actually have a christmas tree up already.  Now that is way to early.  Let enjoy fall for awhile. 

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

This complaint is boring, too. I've been seeing it since July and it shows up every year.  Same story and nothing happens.

I don't blame QVC at all.  I blame the people who buy just as with anything else I don't care to see.  Two hours after buyers disappear, so will the shows.

Those who have had enough Christmas already might as well watch the weather channel for a few months -  it's Christmas everywhere else.

I agree the complaint is boring.  It's also amazing how many people apparently think everything is all about them!  They don't like it so stop it....geesh.

As for blaming the people who buy, well, why blame anyone?  Retailers obviously are in business to make money, and buyers and their buying habits are what suits their interests and budgets.

Me, I LOVE the Christmas programming and I'm not the least bit apologetic for it.  There's plenty of programming that I don't like and it's just so easy to not watch it!  Why should I begrudge others the opportunity to indulge in watching and shopping for what they enjoy?

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

If you don't like the Christmas shows, then turn the channel to something else; such a simple solution. Smiley Happy

I am one of those who buys for Christmas throughout the year. I used to do everything during December and found it more stressful than I wanted it to be.....it was not enjoyable.

So in January I start purchasing any extra decorations I might need for at least 70% off and sometimes more. The items are still in the box, so they are in good condition.

I make purchases for family and friends throughout the year as I see things I believe they would want. And I usually can find great sales on the items I want for them.  I just stash the gifts away and leave the wrapping of presents until December, when it is truly a fun thing to do!

I've been doing it this way for years and find I enjoy Christmas more because of less stress, rushing around at the last minute, etc. Then if I have time, I like to go to the malls to see how pretty all the stores have been decorated.

QVC having Christmas items for special pricing is a good thng. I did not tire of it in July nor do I tire of it now. Beats last-minute shopping with crowds!

what do you do if the person doesn't like the gift you bought in March, you can't return, so someone is stuck with it, so money is wasted?

Trusted Contributor

The Christmas programming doesn't bother me.  I only wish there were new items to choose from.  I love to watch Valerie's shows but again, the same items seem to be shown over and over.  That being said, I also like to shop for Christmas throughout the year. A friend of mine owns a wonderful little antique shop.  The shop closes the end of October and doesn't open up again until the Spring.  It is in a 100 year old barn and there isn't any heat which is the reason they close up shop when they do.  There are several dealers to choose from and I always find unusual, wonderful things at really good prices.  :-)