Respected Contributor

Derma Flash Reviews - TSV 8.30.16

Has anyone purchased this product?

Does it work?

My concern is that the peach fuzz and even long hairs will grow back thicker.

I was always told not to pluck or shave because it grows in thicker.

This reminds me of the thin razor that you can buy for the insides of your nose.

What do you think?

Respected Contributor

Re: Derma Flash Reviews - TSV 8.30.16

I use the Lilibeth from HSN - hair does not come back thicker - and this also exfoliates your skin - about $20 for 2 of them - save your money! 

Respected Contributor

It seems as if this is shaving. And you are stuck doing this forever until you can't shave anymore.

I go to an electrolysis once every  4 months to work on a couple of long hairs for 30 minutes and probably should only go 15 minutes.

I don't want to have to keep shaving and I am happy to expholiate.

Super Contributor

The Dermatology Review

DermaFlash

With exfoliation playing a vital role in skin health and reduction of wrinkles, devices like DermaFlash have piqued consumer curiosity. This device was created by Dara Levy, a spa owner in Chicago, who realized there was no way for women to safely perform dermaplaning at home. To address this need, Dara created DermaFlash, a specialty device that offers at home exfoliation with the promise of smoother skin. However, because it has a high price tag and could potentially cause skin damage (if used improperly), it’s important to speak with a dermatologist before purchasing this device. Because some dermatologists may be biased – since many perform dermaplaning in their offices – it’s a good idea to seek out a dermatologist who does not provide any exfoliation services in the office, so that they give you an unbiased opinion about DermaFlash.

How DermaFlash Works

The idea behind DermaFlash is very similar to dermaplaning. The latter is an exfoliation method used exclusively by skin care professionals to exfoliate the skin through physical removal of dead cells from the skin’s surface.

To perform dermaplaning, a skin expert can use a variety of specialty tools. However, many simply use a very sharp razor. The skin is exfoliated through gentle strokes that basically shave off dead skin and the associated “peach fuzz.” If done correctly and at the right angle, this treatment is very safe and does not pose significant danger of cutting or damaging the skin.

By routinely performing dermaplaning treatments, the consumer can maintain their skin looking softer and tighter. It’s the same basic mechanism by which the lower half of men’s faces tends to remain wrinkle-free; the regular exfoliation through shaving every day for decades will keep the skin looking much smoother.

DermaFlash put a twist on this process to make it possible for consumers to perform dermaplaning at home. Further, the manufacturer aims to create a more unique product, by adding ultrasonic technology to the device.

How to Use DermaFlash

DermaFlash is designed to be used once a week, to exfoliate facial skin. Although the exfoliating device can be used on a standalone basis, the manufacturer suggests combining the treatment with its Prep and Soothe creams.

To start treatment, take the Prep cleanser to thoroughly wash the face and remove debris and excess oil. This DermaFlash cleanser contains ingredients like Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, a surfactant that helps cleanse the skin by reducing the surface tension between water and oils.

After the skin has been cleansed and patted dry, the scraping head (called the edge) needs to be attached to the hand-piece. These blades are situated in a plastic container, and can only be removed by being clicked directly into the unit. The customer can “click in” a special blade into the hand-piece, much in the same way a new blade is attached to the handle of a shaving razor.

Once the blade has been attached to the unit, exfoliate the entire face by gently gliding the edge across the skin. To prevent inadvertent injury, it’s important to work DermaFlash in a way that follows the contours of the face. Special care must be taken to avoid eyebrows or the hair line, as this may cause some hair to be inadvertently shaved off.

After the exfoliation has been completed, it’s important to place the used blade back into the plastic holder, to avoid accidental cuts and nicks. Even though the blade is saved (rather than being disposed of in the trash right away), it should only be used once in order to avoid infection and to avoid giving the DermaFlash blade an uneven surface that can increase accidental cuts with future uses.

Once the blade has been removed, the exfoliation process needs to be followed up with the Soothe cream, which was designed to moisturize and calm the skin after the exfoliation. The DermaFlash Soothe gel contains moisturizing ingredients like glycerin, capric triglyceride, honey, and aloe vera leaf juice extract, among others.

Where to Buy DermaFlash

DermaFlash can be purchased directly through the manufacturer’s website, or through retail locations like Sephora, Neiman Marcus, or Bergdorf Goodman. Although it is also available through ecommerce platforms like Amazon and eBay, the high cost of DermaFlash can make it an appealing target for counterfeiters. Therefore, extra caution is highly advisable if purchasing this exfoliator from an unauthorized distributor.

The cost of DermaFlash is quite high, at $189 for the device itself, and $39 for a supply of creams and blades that last about 4-6 weeks.

DermaFlash Reviews

The reviews for DermaFlash are quite mixed. Some consumers suggest they are very happy with the product, while others claim this is basically just a razor. In fact, some consumers suggest that simply purchasing a cheap safety razor from a drug store will yield similar results.

Another common issue in negative DermaFlash reviews seems to be a problem with the device’s ability to charge correctly and not run out of power.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I use the Lilibeth from HSN - hair does not come back thicker - and this also exfoliates your skin - about $20 for 2 of them - save your money! 

I've been using these also but I don't think they exfoliate like the Dermaflash. 

Trusted Contributor

I use Lilibeth ones also. I also use Dimitri's exfoliator. (Dermapeel)

The hair does not grow back thicker or darker. If it is peach fuzz, it comes back as peace fuzz.

I think $150.00 is WAY WAY too much money. Plus the added expense of replacing the blades. I do not think TSV is anything more exfoliating than the Lilibeth duo. $20/2, toss them, and get new. They are even cheaper on Amazon, $16.49 I think I paid?

I also use my epilator on my face, which cuts down on frequency too, as hair eventually does slow down growing back.

Respected Contributor

I don't need another beauty gadget to clog up the drawers in my bathroom vanity.  I'll just keep my Clarisonic and Purity Made Simple.  I take care of the facial hair as well.  No, it doesn't grow back darker and thicker. 

Super Contributor

Thanks for the tip on the Lillibeth!  I ordered a set to try. I had never seen these before but the look very similar and you can use them for a few months it says which is a real bargin as opposed to having to get a new one each time.  Glad you posted about these!

Valued Contributor

From their own description: "To perform dermaplaning, a skin expert can use a variety of specialty tools. However, many simply use a very sharp razor. The skin is exfoliated through gentle strokes that basically shave off dead skin and the associated “peach fuzz.”

It's a razor... 

Respected Contributor

@ctinaw wrote:

From their own description: "To perform dermaplaning, a skin expert can use a variety of specialty tools. However, many simply use a very sharp razor. The skin is exfoliated through gentle strokes that basically shave off dead skin and the associated “peach fuzz.”

It's a razor... 

And the peach fuzz will grow back as well as the long hairs on your face. You get sucked into doing this for the rest of your life until you are too old and you look like a man.