Super Contributor

Anyone from VT have a Duraflame Infrared Heater?

In VT its cold and we have high electric rates - wondering if anyone from VT has a Duraflame stove similar to the TSV...wondering how much it made your electric go up?

My husband broke his ankle about 7 weeks ago and we are behind getting our wood pellets.  I can't do it because of arthritis in my shoulders and hands.  Wondering if this would help take off the edge of the cold weather...I don't expect it to actually heat a room, but if it could raise the temp by 5 or 6 degrees would be great...

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone from VT have a Duraflame Infrared Heater?

I live in Indiana - the only time the Duraflame warms my room is in late fall and the early part of winter before it gets too cold - after that it really doesn't work very well.  Of course, my main room has 20+ foot ceilings, so there's really nothing that small that's going to warm it up very much.  It would have to be a very small closed off room for it to work well. 

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I live in Indiana - the only time the Duraflame warms my room is in late fall and the early part of winter before it gets too cold - after that it really doesn't work very well.  Of course, my main room has 20+ foot ceilings, so there's really nothing that small that's going to warm it up very much.  It would have to be a very small closed off room for it to work well. 

PLUS, there's no thermostat, so it doesn't turn on and off - it just runs constantly. 

Honored Contributor

I bought one a couple years ago for my mother in CT.  She uses it in her tv room, which is 10x10.  It gets really warm in there.  She likes it that way, but everyone else is too hot.

I think if you live in a house with enclosed rooms, it works good.  My house is open concept, so I wouldn't expect it to work well here.

Honored Contributor

I have a Duraflame "log set" in my wood-burning fireplace........mainly for ambiance when company is coming.    If you just want heat, a $15 heater from WM does the trick...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not in VT, but I do live where it's cold and snowy.  I have one and it ran my electric bill up over $80 a month only running it two hours a day and on LOW.  I'd pass.

Honored Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

I'm not in VT, but I do live where it's cold and snowy.  I have one and it ran my electric bill up over $80 a month only running it two hours a day and on LOW.  I'd pass.

Twenty-five cents an hour adds up fast.    I was telling a friend back East that my a/c costs $10 a day.    They thought that was "cheap".......so I guess it all depends on your power rates..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I am not in Indiana, I am in PA. I have 2 Duraflame heaters from the other year (not these). They are nice and they do heat a room very well, but I mostly like them and use them for the ambiance of the flame. (Our heat is gas which is much cheaper than running electric. Our electric bill overall (not because of these) is our highest bill. So I don't substitute these for heat). But yeah Duraflames are nice.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

ITA

I have one, but it runs up my bill about $30 to $40 a month.  And, I only used it for 3 hours a day max.

I rarely use mine.  They don't provide much warmth at all.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@barrel racer wrote:

Twenty-five cents an hour adds up fast.    I was telling a friend back East that my a/c costs $10 a day.    They thought that was "cheap".......so I guess it all depends on your power rates..........

I'd estimate it to be about .35 an hour.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"