Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I think we all have examples of our misinterpretation of lyrics. Makes me wish singers would enunciate clearly like Frank Sinatra did. 

Well, that'll never happen again, that's for sure. Reminds me of another enunciation thing-Edith Bunker got a lot of mail asking her what the last line of her song was, they just couldn't understand the lyrics. Next thing you knew, they'd changed it by having her sing it again only this time "enunciate" which she did. The lyric was, "...........gee, our old La Salle ran great, those were the days."

Valued Contributor

One of the very oldest examples of a song heard wrong:

Ye Hielands an ye Lowlands

O, whaur hae ye been

They hae slain the Earl o' Moray

And lain him on the green.

The last line was misheard as "and Lady Mondegreen".  The little girl listening thought it was a very romantic song about two lovers dying together.  In fact, she grew up to write an essay on the subject, and coined the term "Mondegreen" as a misheard lyric that changes the entire meaning of the song.

I used to post on another board with a woman who chose the handle "Lady Mondegreen".  Wish I'd thought of it first!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

Are you reeling in the ears?

Hey kids shake a goose together

Honored Contributor

My dear Uncle danced with me to my favorite song from "Saturday Night Fever" --"More Than a Wonan"

He sang it "Bald Headed Woman". (BeeGees)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

I used to think that too Jordan2.

Jessa
Respected Contributor

Sheryl Crowe  All I wanna do is Hurt someone,  I've got a feeling I'm not the only one!

Valued Contributor

Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names

Valued Contributor

Instead of . . .

She’s got electric boots , a mohair suit

You know I read it in a magazine, oh, yeah
Bennie and the Jets

This (fill in the blank yourself):

She’s got electric boo_s, a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine, oh, yeah
Bennie and the Jets

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Just remembered from Friends. Phoebe thinks Tiny Dancer is "Hold me closer Tony Danza"!

Elton John lyrics could be an entire sub category for me. I never know what he's saying!

Trusted Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I think we all have examples of our misinterpretation of lyrics. Makes me wish singers would enunciate clearly like Frank Sinatra did. 

@StylishLady...very true! You always knew what Frank was singing! I never thought of it, but you're absolutely correct.