Honored Contributor

Has anyone seen that ?

Honored Contributor

I rented it through my cable company and was positively impressed by its sensitivity and lyrical beauty.  Yeah, that sounds like squishy generic praise, but its topic was handled so gently with no graphic moments, so to speak.  I appreciated that.

What I loved so very much was the background music -- it was classic and classy.  Wonderful sensibility all around.  I don't know if it was because I took several personal intermissions near the end of the film, but I did find the end to go a bit more slowly than the beginning and midpoints.  No big detriment, though

All in all, a beautiful movie, in my opinion.  Barry Jenkins has an authentic talent. 

Honored Contributor

Re: film: Moonlight

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

I rented it through my cable company and was positively impressed by its sensitivity and lyrical beauty.  Yeah, that sounds like squishy generic praise, but its topic was handled so gently with no graphic moments, so to speak.  I appreciated that.

What I loved so very much was the background music -- it was classic and classy.  Wonderful sensibility all around.  I don't know if it was because I took several personal intermissions near the end of the film, but I did find the end to go a bit more slowly than the beginning and midpoints.  No big detriment, though

All in all, a beautiful movie, in my opinion.  Barry Jenkins has an authentic talent. 

Beautifully said @golding76.  I agree completely!  I also thought the end was building up to something more because it was a bit more meticulous.  However, after thinking about it, life takes it's own time, and it's seldom timely.  I loved it.

Respected Contributor

I saw it, and really liked it.  

On a side note, there were a couple of other movies that IMHO should have won the Academy Award for Best Picture over Moonlight.  I would still really recommend seeing the movie, though.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

I heard it was more like a documentary than a movie.

Honored Contributor

I rented it from Amazon after it won best picture. Maybe my expectations were too high, but for me it wasn't a great film. I did like the story and I cared about the boy. And I know that being gay in the black community is certainly an important topic to explore. It wasn't just about that of course, that was only one aspect of his life growing up.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

It had horrible reviews on Redbox so I passed. 

Esteemed Contributor
@golding76 said it beautifully and far better than I ever could.

I was concerned that it would be violent and held off going for a long time. But, it was far from that. I find the film hard to explain.

Did it deserve the Oscar? I don't know. But, of all the Oscar nominated films I saw, this is the only one that made me think afterwards.
Honored Contributor

I think I will rent it! I want to see it, and I want to see La La Land, and Lion and Hidden Figures. I still haven't seen Room and I really wanted to see after Brie won the Oscar, so I guess I have a lot of movies to catch up on! My Sister just rented Fences and she really liked it, but she told my mom that she probably won't like it because of all of the bad language.........I want to see that one too! 

Respected Contributor

I have now seen all of the oscar nominated movies:  I think the Best Picture should have been Hidden Figures.  It was a wonderful movie.