Regular Contributor

Your Thoughts On Madam Secretary On CBS Sunday Night

The first episode was excellent. In my opinion this is a winner if the subsequent shows are as well done.

Respected Contributor

Re: Your Thoughts On Madam Secretary On CBS Sunday Night

I didn't care for it.

Regular Contributor

My dvr started recording another program just when she asked her husband what was wrong, so I missed it. Can anyone fill me in, please?

Honored Contributor

It is being repeated tonight and I think another time. It's too long and detailed for me personally to do a synopsis, sorry.

I liked it a lot. I like Tea Leoni and I have always loved Tim Daly. tI thought the last scene was very realistic.

I hope no one gives it away.

Honored Contributor

From the clips I expected to like it and I did.

Honored Contributor

Morgan Freeman is one of the producers ..... his comment on a recent talk show made a lot of sense .... we've now had THREE female Secretarys of State .... Madeline Albright, Condoleeza Rice and Hillary Clinton .... it's time we saw a show that depicts this job. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

The promos proved intriguing and the pilot more than fulfilled the tantilizing promise of an all too often elusive reality of a show with strong characters, intelligent, well-crafted plots and solid performances. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Madam Secretary, despite never having been a Téa Leoni fan. It's that constantly pained expression and vocal monotone that's most annoying. Additionally, she always looks disheveled, like a rumpled, unmade bed. IMO Leoni is just one of those actresses like Gwyneth Paltrow or Anne Hathaway: there's just something off-putting about them.

I always imagine who would've been better in the role that demands an intelligent sophisticated Christine Baranski-type. Why didn't they cast Glenn Close, Vanessa Williams, Candice Bergen, Angela Bassett, Joan Allen, Anne Archer, Diahann Carroll or Meredith Baxter? Here's another idea: they should've put BeBe Neuwirth in the lead rather than a secondary role.

One of the major selling points of this show is the incredible supporting cast, who outshine the lead in terms of experience and nuanced performances. I've been a Tim Daly fan since Wings. I was disappointed to hear that Daly was not playing the President, but only the spouse, something that could devolve into a thankless, one-dimensional role of nothing more than end of the day pillow talk in the hands of less experienced writers. Surprisingly, this is a fully developed character, with an interesting career. He's an actively engaged, fully involved parent to two very intelligent teenagers. Let's hope this continues.

The other two veteran actors who'll undoubtedly bring much to the show, given their incredible backgrounds are Zeljko Ivanek (Damages) and Bebe Neuwirth (Cheers; Frasier). There are a few other familiar faces lending ample credence to the supporting cast, although their names may not be as well-known: Geoffrey Arend (Body of Proof), Marin Hinkle (Two and a Half Men), and Patrick Breen (Royal Pains).

Madam Secretary had a solid base of drama with intermittent appropriate dashes of humor. This was particularly true when showing the shallowness of today's media. It was as easy as dangling a bright, shiny object in front of a pet. What a telling comment about the emphasis of style over substance that press coverage could be so easily distracted by Secretary Elizabeth McCord's makeover. Suddenly her clothing, hairstyle and make-up became THE BIG STORY, masterfully orchestrated and precisely timed to divert attention from maverick McCord's back-channel covert machinations that circumvented the media and the Chief of Staff, all aimed at freeing the hostages. The State Dinner for the African leader and his many wives was humorous, yet it managed to emphasize the importance of AIDS education, prevention and treatment across the continent, as well as the crucial role women would play in achieving established goals.

Madam Secretary's homage to Aaron Sorkin's rapid-fire, walk-and-talk dialogue of The West Wing was abundantly clear. One can't help wondering whether the allusions to a deep-cover government cabal responsible for the downing of the previous SoS's plane and the auto accident that claimed the life of Elizabeth's friend and former colleague, George will be explored. These fictional plotlines sounded very similar to the suspicious "suicide" of Vincent Foster in the early days of the Clinton Administration. IIRC, Scandal began with a similar conspiracy angle before jettisoning that in favor of unabashed soap opera, then later backtracking to the Black Ops of B-613. Obviously this is another niche show for the politicos, policy wonks and news addicts among us who are fascinated by the inner-workings of our federal government's handling of multiple hot button issues dominating the real world's 24-hour news cycle of crisis containment in international diplomacy and geo-political affairs.

The obvious coattails effect of pairing Madam Secretary with The Good Wife assures CBS good audience flow and a desired demo on Sunday evenings.

This looks like a winner. Madam Secretary definitely gets my vote.

Honored Contributor

thanks for reminder, I will let my husband know I think he wanted to watch this.

Super Contributor

I thoroughly enjoyed this show. Didn't think I would.
Frequent Contributor

Loved it---Reminded me of THE WEST WING in some ways... I think it will be a hit as they hoped...