Frequent Contributor

@rustee wrote:

Did anyone watch the first episode of this new HBO series? Your thoughts?

Yes! Both episodes. Fan of Jude Law's acting talents. 

Wonderful show imho and I  look forward to the next one.😊

Honored Contributor

Just a reminder this is on tonight and tomorrow night.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  So many good shows on tonight.  That's why I upgraded my cable to being able to DVR multiple shows at once.  It's worth the money!

Trusted Contributor

Love it! Jude Law is perfect in this role. The cast is so good and the setting is stunning. 

Honored Contributor

How he can be Pope, I don't know! He is arrogant, vindictive, petty, etc. He would make a lousy boss let alone be someone that people look up to for guidance and faith.

Esteemed Contributor

Well,I watched it on my big screen and paid close attention to it all and  I still do not like it.It is pointless to me.  He is doing a really great job of acting i will say,but I find it boreing..........just sayin'

I do not like it at all................

Respected Contributor

Just watched the third episode - taped it yesterday - and Jude Law is so good I am really really loving this series.  Fourth episode on tonight taping that too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

How he can be Pope, I don't know! He is arrogant, vindictive, petty, etc. He would make a lousy boss let alone be someone that people look up to for guidance and faith.

@Jordan2 I agree with you.  I find the show very unsettling, dark, and pretty much anti catholic,  which I am not interested in watching personally.  The acting is good,  but a pope that dosent beileve in a God !?  Do t know what the  point is the writer is trying to convey,  very hard to follow at times as well,  too much whispering.

Honored Contributor

Re: Young Pope on HBO

[ Edited ]

I agree that it is 'hard to swallow'!  As a Catholic AND a Baptist (Christened Catholic/Baptized Baptist) I often sit with my mouth open.  It doesn't bother me, but I can understand how Catholics would not like it.  It is very anti-Catholic (are you kidding)?  

Didn't you hear him ask the Priest "Are you Gay?"  Then it was "get him away from those young Priests" (paraphrasing).  I think of it as going in a closet and picking out all of the dirty clothes that have been lying in the floor to wash.  Not that I agree and not that I think it's necessary.  It's as if every rumor and suspect is being drawn out.  No religion is pure, but good grief!  They're doing a job on this religion!

We must remember it is a TV show, not a documentary.  I don't like the way they leave things (like when he fell into the young woman's lap).  What the heck?  Maybe they'll go back and address that.

This show is totally meant to push buttons, and it sure does.

If you think about it, very little has been addressed via TV or movies about the Catholic church in modern times.  My guess is (total guess) that a bunch of people/writers were sitting around and someone said, "Let's write something about the modern Catholic church and we'll make it irreverent and he'll be young, good looking and messed up in the head".  Ha!

They succeeded.  I'm often tempted to turn it off (mainly because it's mean to shock and it's system's overload).

But I don't......yet!

I TRIED to delete this because I forgot it doesn't say spoiler.  I'm going to start one that says SPOILER  because I have questions and it's too easy to forget the spoiler thing.  Just saying.

Super Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2 I agree with you.  I find the show very unsettling, dark, and pretty much anti catholic,  which I am not interested in watching personally.  The acting is good,  but a pope that dosent beileve in a God !?  Do t know what the  point is the writer is trying to convey,  very hard to follow at times as well,  too much whispering.

@Kitty Galore & @Jordan2

This series is supposedly meant to be funny!!!