Valued Contributor

There is an official hbo/young pope website, as well as social media discssions on Twitter and Facebook

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I said on another thread I thought Sunday night's episode was by far the best. Lenny actually came off as a caring human being with feelings. I found the episode sad. Last night's episode left the door open for another season which I believe it will get, I think HBO picked the show up for another season.

@Jordan2  after watching the Tenth episode (I'm glad they label by number instead of title)  I think Lennie may be badly damaged, instead of evil.  He may have some redeeming qualities deeply buried. 

@Annabellethecat66  I couldn't find any other thread please let me know if you do.  I find this show fascinating.

Young Lennie "healing" his friends mother was awesome. At least for me. I believe in the power of prayer (sometimes).

Honored Contributor

Re: Young Pope on HBO

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey  I used to think I was very cerebral when it came to TV shows.  Oh!  How wrong I was!  (At least pertaining to these new(er) TV shows.  Ha!

That was also before my daughters (ages 43, 41 and 36) became adults.  They are way more intuitive as far as interpreting some of these new(er) shows.  

I've been trying to get my youngest to watch the show because SHE HELPS ME understand what the hay is going on.

Just yesterday (while sitting at my daughter's) discussing the Grammy's, my oldest daughter went on and on telling me how Beyonce's performance was like taking a trip throughout the classics and some other things that made me 'rethink her performance'.  I did (rethink her performance) and (true to myself) I STILL came about how the female body is beautiful when pregnant!  Ha!

In other words, I'm not the 'deep thinker' I thought I was.  Ha!

I haven't given up hope though.  My youngest daughter has promised me she will watch all of the episodes of The Young Pope just as soon as she gets back from spending a week skiing the slopes in Colorado (where she lives).  In other words she'd rather be skiing than watching a show her mom wants (no....needs) for her to interpret.

If I ever get that from her, I'll let you know.  As a Catholic AND Baptist, I am able to read some things into this show, but that would just be my interpretation and (based on what I've been learning) is probably not only inadequate but also WRONG!  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I've told you before I love reading your posts! 

Any insight to The Young Pope will be much appreciated!! It really puzzles me, starting with Lennie's wink in the opening.

I'm a non-practicing Catholic, about 15 years I think.  I'm of Polish decent, as well as Lithuanian. My Dad took us out of school to see Pope John Paul II in Chicago. I so happy we went to see him.  It was crazy cold and we were far away, but I was there.

Super Contributor

I have watched almost all of the first series and must say that I find it intriguing. Stay with it, it gets better when you learn about the characters. After seeing the second show I had to google it to get a handle on the story. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

To get a better understanding w/spoilers, Google "The Young Pope recap(s)."  Also, Wiki which goes into character details.

==========

Sidebar:  The finale reminded me of the story of Caligula.  When he got sick eventually went into a coma.  When he woke up he thought he was a god.

Spoiler
Makes me wonder if this is going to happen to Lenny in S2?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac Some movies/TV shows are very forgettable; others....um...not so much...Caligula was like that.  John Hurt was amazing as Caligula.  

I think you might be right because they sure alluded to that so many times, referring to him as a Saint and how he 'saved' the child's life.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I Claudius, John Hurt as Claudius is who I was referring to. Smiley Happy

Don't forget Lenny made the plane rumble during a question he did not want to answer or didn't like.

Also, he made a non-fertile couple fertile.

Questionable....the nun who died drinking water in Africa.

And the kicker....He did nothing to help his dying mentor - Spencer

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I thought the last episode was incredible. I can't wait til season 2.