Honored Contributor

Re: Will You Watch The Remake Of The Mini Series Roots

No. It has been done.  Seen it.

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 Which state supposedly removed the word "slavery" from the curriculum?  I'm not aware of any state doing that.  There was a textbook company that used the word "workers" in a caption, and a Texas mother complained. The textbook company said they would change the text.  Adopting that textbook did not remove the word "slavery" from the curriculum.  I can't find any other close examples.  Please provide more information.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I read the write-up on it, in Entertainment Weekly, today and they gave it an A-

I think I'm going to let all four episodes record and then watch them all.

Honored Contributor

wildcat fan wrote:

@Reiki604 Which state supposedly removed the word "slavery" from the curriculum?  I'm not aware of any state doing that.  There was a textbook company that used the word "workers" in a caption, and a Texas mother complained. The textbook company said they would change the text.  Adopting that textbook did not remove the word "slavery" from the curriculum.  I can't find any other close examples.  Please provide more information.  Thanks!

texas

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bryan-monroe/how-texas-school-board-tr_b_586633.html

https://www.rt.com/usa/272293-texas-history-slavery-kkk/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I'm going to DVR it and watch it later. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I read the write-up on it, in Entertainment Weekly, today and they gave it an A-

I think I'm going to let all four episodes record and then watch them all.

@chickenbutt  I wonder if the write-up was done by young people who didn't see the original.

Esteemed Contributor

I will not only because I tend to be very critical on shows or movies that are re-made. I tend to not like them because I am constantly comparing to the earlier versions.

I was very young when the first one came on TV and I remember watching it over several nights with my grandmother.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

deleted

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

No, I will not be watching the miniseries, nor the movie version of "Roots" when it comes out later this year.

It's not that I don't appreciate the story, I do, but I can't watch any movie where a person gets whipped.

I'm sorry, but I just can't.

I agree. It's hard to watch that kind of violence. Same goes for WGN's UNDERGROUND. I wanted to continue watching that show but could'nt.

Honored Contributor

Saw the first show. Great actors.