Respected Contributor

What's the advantage of all these "+" stations??

Unfortunately our cable system is discontinuing our Centurylink Prism system and reverting to "Dish" (which we've had and were not pleased with.)

Our only choices are AT&T and Spectrum.

But I don't get that there's Discovery+, Paramount+, Disney+, along with ABC All Access, Peacock, etc., etc. which are additional charges.

Just so we don't get commercials??  I record most everything, so just FF through the commercials.

It's getting ridiculoius, or I'm stupider than dirt.

Denise
Respected Contributor

Re: What's the advantage of all these "+" stations??

I'm sure the point if for the companies to make more money off people. They put the popular shows on the + services and think people will pay for them. Not me! 

Respected Contributor

I have Peacock for free through my Comcast/Xfinity.  But there are commercials with it.  I do watch it but if they start to charge for it then I will just let it go.  We already pay way too much.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I think because it's all the rage to "cut the cord" to cable, the cable companies are setting up streaming channels to still get their (OUR) money.

At this point I told DH cable (Uverse) will be the last thing we give up.  We like to channel surf which is not cool with streaming. 

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I'm sure the point if for the companies to make more money off people. They put the popular shows on the + services and think people will pay for them. Not me! 

Same for me!  I only watch 1 or 2 prgramss, not paying an additional fee for that.

Denise
Respected Contributor

No advantage to viewers at all. Just another way to get us to fork over more money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The + channels are the ones you get by streaming them on wifi.

They would appeal to people without cable or satellite and for some people who want more than just cable or satellite.

Honored Contributor

Content providers make more money if they cut out the middleman.  So, instead of licensing their stuff to the likes of netflix, hulu, amazon, and youtube, they sell it to you directly via their own "+" channels.

Of course, that only works if the entertainment-starved public bites.  

Trusted Contributor

I have the Spectrum silver cable package that includes HBO so I get the HBO MAX app for free (for now anyway). If they start to charge extra, I will drop it. Discovery+ will have commercials unless you pay $2 a month more. And all their channels have waaaay too many commercials and promos. When cable TV got started, there were very few, if any, commercials. That was supposed be the big draw to sucker people into getting cable. Cable was also very cheap and had wonderful programming, unlike most of the reality junk they have now. These plus channels will probably go the same route once enough people subscribe to them. The only advantage I can see is that you can choose only the channels you want and not have to pay for the hundreds of channels that cable offers.

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

The only advantage I can see is that you can choose only the channels you want and not have to pay for the hundreds of channels that cable offers.

LOL! That would work for me but not for my DH whose primary entertainment is flicking through all 2500 channels looking for something to watch.