Honored Contributor

Re: What has happened to Food Network and the Cooking Channel?

I watch the Pioneer Woman and Trisha Yearwood and then change the channel.

All they do lately is have morning marathons of a particular show and switch to a different marathon for the entire afternoon or evening.

I can't stand Valerie Bertinelli and don't get the thinking behind the sitcom actresses that have their own shows.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember enjoying Iron Chef when it was in Japan - and everything had to be translated.  And Sara Moulton, who would take phone calls while she was cooking!

I loved Emeril's show (Emeril Live) - he had good musicians on, too, and celebrity guests.  When it was on at 8PM EST I'd watch with a glass of vino.  

Design on a Dime was fun.  And Candice Olson is the best ever.  Things seemed to start to change for me when that cute tall dark-haired "designer" David So-and-So who always did "artwork" for his clients, won Design Star and hosted his own show.

I watched Masterchef Canada during the holidays and actually like it.  Where has that been?

@chickenbutt, I'm going to look for Martha and Snoop.  That sounds entertaining.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I agree with the OP a hundred percent!!  Don't watch any of the competition shows or the other nonsense they air.  I really can't believe that there is a competiton for the worst cook in America, and that it actually draws enough of an audience to keep it going.  

Honored Contributor

I watch the Create Channel.  It has a lot of actual cooking programs, most or all of which originally aired on PBS.

Respected Contributor

@Colinka I agree I don't see the point for the next foodnetwork star considering all the shows are competitions or that icky guy fieri and his diner show or supermarket show. 

I miss the actual cooking shows. It seems like it is a hit or miss.

Valued Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I watch the Pioneer Woman and Trisha Yearwood and then change the channel.

Me too...I have one of The Pioneer Woman cookbooks and all of Trisha Yearwood's. I don't always like watching Ree Drummond though because her family interactions are usually so forced they are cringeworthy. No knock on the recipes most of the time for either since I like basic stuff. 

Trusted Contributor

This is why I have basic cable.  I don't care to watch reality TV...or competitions (unless it's sports related). 

The only thing I watch in the evening is local news and then re-runs of the Big Bang Theory.  Then I shut the TV off and read.  Weekends not much TV.  I'm usually working out, cleaning, doing laundry and cooking.  And food shopping is thrown in there in the AM hours.

I usually watch Q at 2 or 3 AM while I'm getting ready for work.  But not for long...then I change the channel and watch local 4AM news.

Honored Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

Where are the shows that actually show how to cook? With the exception of very old Alton Brown shows (Good Eats) there aren't any shows on that actually show how to cook anymore! It's all silly competitions: Cake Wars, Donut Wars, Cooks vs. Cons,Chopped, Worst Cooks in America, etc.  Or else they are showing some talking head traveling to various restaurants and gorging on ginormous portions of carnival eats, BBQ, Pizza,etc.  I miss watching Ina Garten, Giada, Ree, etc.  Has been actresses (Tiffani, Valerie, Hilary,and the rest, are not trained cooks!) And don't get me started on the neverending Guy Fieri shows.

I'm going to block them from my channel selections. (As I did E when it became all Kardashian all the time.) Does anyone know of any channel that still has cooking shows? (Other than PBS.)

@Colinka wrote:

Where are the shows that actually show how to cook? With the exception of very old Alton Brown shows (Good Eats) there aren't any shows on that actually show how to cook anymore! It's all silly competitions: Cake Wars, Donut Wars, Cooks vs. Cons,Chopped, Worst Cooks in America, etc.  Or else they are showing some talking head traveling to various restaurants and gorging on ginormous portions of carnival eats, BBQ, Pizza,etc.  I miss watching Ina Garten, Giada, Ree, etc.  Has been actresses (Tiffani, Valerie, Hilary,and the rest, are not trained cooks!) And don't get me started on the neverending Guy Fieri shows.

I'm going to block them from my channel selections. (As I did E when it became all Kardashian all the time.) Does anyone know of any channel that still has cooking shows? (Other than PBS.)

@Colinka  Saturday mornings seems to be the only time that cooking shows are aired, Ina is still on, and not trained, neither is Ree, though Giada is.  I believe everyone is deemed a cook unless they have been to culinary school, and pronounced a chef.  I love the kid's shows and chopped, I actually learn a lot from chopped.  I also like Worst Cooks, pretty funny, and Ann and Rachael are good teachers.

Honored Contributor

The best cooking shows are on PBS but my local PBS doesn't show them regularly.

I actually saw an old episode of Julia Child last week.

Surprisingly, I do enjoy Cooks vs. Cons after I swore off cooking competition shows!

How long has Chopped been on the air, 20 years???

@Colinka wrote:

Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie Hi Foxxie , I am still trying to get used to this tablet.  I am sorry to hear about your hubby but I am sure you will take good care of him.  I have been well but my hubby has AFIB and one morning while we were walking at the mall he passed out.  He is doing fine now.   I am so glad to talk to you again.  God bless dear friend .

Jessa