Honored Contributor

Re: War and Peace - Is Anybody Watching?

I adored the book.  I read it in it's entirety.  Truly a great epic story.  I loved the characters.  Despite it's scope spanning the years from 1803 to 1812.  This was the time of Napoleonic wars.  Great love story too.  Won't give you spoilers but Pierre (Paul Dano) Andre (James Norton) & Natasha (Lily James) figure the future triangle.  Pierre jumps from a nebbish, plump, figure to hero,  Ah but will he get he get his girl in the end?   Costars will be Nepoleon and oh yes, RUSSIAN WINTER.  Frozen faces under the ice. There is a great deal of tragedy.  Huge numbers of men in many countires died for this.  Just remember this about Russia.  No matter how they conduct a war....there is always that terrible winter to deal with. And France and eons later, Hitler learned making the same mistake as Nepoleon

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@Phantom41 wrote:

I'll watch anything with James Norton in it!  Can't wait for Grantchester!

I love James Norton in Grantchester, but the review on this was scathing.  Pure soap opera is what they said, and none of the complexity of the novel.    I missed the 1st episode, and based on the comments here, I think I'll pass.

I watched, and was not impressed by any acting I saw in episode 1, except that Paul Dano was the best of the lot and Stephen Rea and Gillian Anderson were almost cartoonish in their Machiavellian plotting and social pronouncements, respectively. But maybe they are supposed to be painted with a very broad brush.

Nearly everyone, including Andrei/James Norton (be still my heart) were cardboard. If they were going for "everyone's shallow" (except Pierre) they succeeded. And even Pierre just kept telling us he was so sensitive and noble, etc., I didn't actually see that in his acting much. Everyone was either dipped in emotional starch or taking silly/shallow/naive to the max pills.

Thank heaven for DVRs and FF.

I too can't wait for season 2 of Grantchester.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I watched part 1 last night and I had to fight to make myself not get distracted.  It seemed slow but I will try part 2.

Esteemed Contributor

I recorded the first part.  Will watch when I get some time.  I did peek at a scene or two.  Lovely sets and costumes. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I read the novel in college.  I am thus far enjoying the mini series.  You cannot expect the mini series to have the same nuances as the novel. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am recording the series.  I just watched series 1.  I like the pagentry and the sets and costumes.  It's a long drawn out story but it seems like it's moving along in the 4-part series. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I watched for the scenery, the costumes. I expected it to be Cliff Notes and it was.