Honored Contributor

Re: Under the Tuscan Sun movie

[ Edited ]

As a lover of Italy, the first time I saw this movie at the cinema with a friend, we were both a bit disappointed. 

A long time later I watched it again on TV (pretty much for the scenery) and thought "Wow!  How did I not love this the first time?"  I ended up buying the dvd and it remains one of my favorite films.

(I also bought the book which is quite different from the film and a subsequent book by the same author.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

As a lover of Italy, the first time I saw this movie at the cinema with a friend, we were both a bit disappointed. 

A long time later I watched it again on TV (pretty much for the scenery) and thought "Wow!  How did I not love this the first time?"  I ended up buying the dvd and it remains one of my favorite films.

(I also bought the book which is quite different from the film and a subsequent book by the same author.)

@Venezia- as a lover of Italy as well, I loved the scenery and the book and her life were totally different.  But, I hate to disappoint people....I am in Italy part of the year and visit Cortona  often and have friends there.  They are not really too fond of FM, tho she did bring attention to their town and increased tourism but as a resident, she wasn't nice to the people and many didn't like her unflattering portrayal of real people who live there.  They felt her comments to be very unkind and I love Cortona and Its residents. 

Respected Contributor

I'm more of an action flick fan, but I love this movie too. I can rewatch it over and over which I seldom do. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I agree, it is a wonderful movie!...It made me want to move to Italy!...I love just about any movie that Diane Lane is in...She is a fabulous actress so, when I see her name, I will always go to see the movie...I especially love the movies that she made with Richard Gere...Unfaithful & Nights In Rodanthe...They have great chemistry together!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Trusted Contributor

Love Under the Tuscan Sun!  It is one of those movies where you laugh and cry!!  I own it and can watch it over and over!  Wish they would make more movies like it!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

This film remains a guilty pleasure.  It's a tribute to the resiliency of the human spirit.  As someone recently said, life's rough spots do not necessarily build character.  Instead, a person's true character is revealed when life takes a bad turn.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Sandra Oh was in this movie, shortly before she became the infamous Dr Yang on Greys, and Meredith's Person.

Honored Contributor

Shelbelle wrote:

Sandra Oh was in this movie, shortly before she became the infamous Dr Yang on Greys, and Meredith's Person.

she was also in another movie favorite of mine......SIDEWAYS.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Her then hubby at the time, Alexander Payne, directed Sideways.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Her then hubby at the time, Alexander Payne, directed Sideways.

interesting.....i did not know that. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein