Honored Contributor

Re: Top Chef Season 14 Episode 14 Finale *Spoilers*

I didn't watch, but I just zipped to the very end to see who won and then deleted it.    I was glad for who won.  Maybe I'll dig the episode out of my 'deleted' folder and watch - who knows.  Smiley Happy

I'm watching Andy Cohen's show with Padma, Tom, Brooke, Shirley, and Sheldon.   Pretty cool how they are all there and they ALL look fabulous!

Sheldon is the bartender.  So glad he won for fan fav!   He seems like such a wonderful man.

Honored Contributor

I did end up watching it and unless I missed it or wasn't paying attention, I thought it was pretty s****y that Brooke didn't tell the judges she forgot to order the pork belly and Shirley gave hers to her.

Honored Contributor

while i know that the judges didnt care for brookes dessert, how do we know which dishes they preferred? did they actually come out and say who won each head to head dish? i just dont remember that during the show. i will probably watch it again.

@sabatinithe fan favorite came down to two people according to andy cohen.....shirley and sheldon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

while i know that the judges didnt care for brookes dessert, how do we know which dishes they preferred? did they actually come out and say who won each head to head dish? i just dont remember that during the show. i will probably watch it again.

@sabatinithe fan favorite came down to two people according to andy cohen.....shirley and sheldon.

I think it was pretty obvious based on their discussions while eating.  Only course that may have been mixed was the pork belly vs pork shank, and, even that, I think Brooke pulled ahead.

After the less than stellar broth review of Shirley's, I knew the competition was over.

well, that and the spoiler I read!  LOL

Im surprised Shirley was so high up for fan favorite.  Last I saw (which was a few weeks back), Sheldon was far away in the lead with the Southern chef (Jim?) in second.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego

will definitely be watching it again.

the way they were talking i thought that they really LOVED the pork shank....and even mentioned how it was nice not to see a chop or tenderloin.

i also recall one of them mentioning that brookes oyster was a bit heavy for a first course, while shirleys was more delicate (but of course there was not enough of the "extras" to round out her dish). of course, for the dessert, they went on and on about shirleys dish. on wwhl, shirley said that she chose casey not because she was close to brooke, but because she knew how to do a dessert. she said that was one of the reasons why she DIDNT pick sheldon......because he kept saying he doesnt do desserts. i wonder what he would have come up with had he been in the finale.....a dessert dish or a 4th main course?

in another finale a while back, didnt someone do a fruit and cheese plate as a final dish?

lol, i read the spoiler also, so i kind of new how it was going to go. i would have been surprised if it wasnt brooke.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Miss any of the action from Thursday's LIVE Quickfire Challenge? Get all the deets and see which Lay's #DoUsAFlavor combo had the chefs in a frenzy.

http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/top-chef-live-quickfire-winner-video

Honored Contributor

You never really know how much you can trust a spoiler as they're typically from anonymous sources, but this one came right from Katsuji who was there, which gave it more credibility. He quickly deleted it afterwards, but with shows taped months in advance of airing, it's not unusual for spoilers to leak out. At the time he leaked it, Brooke was still in Last Chance Kitchen, so there was some reason to doubt it, but then Brooke came back and took off.

I dare say Katsuji got a verbal spanking from the producers for leaking the winner, but there's not a lot more they can do. The contract typically includes punitive action for disclosing the wnner in advance, but that's rarely enforced unless someone is stupid enough to call a press conference and announce it to the world. One tweet likely didn't bring him any sanctions. (He may not have realized that his conversation with Brooke was public and thought it was private also.) 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman, how was Brooke able to call her son and tell him?  I thought on all of these shows the winner has to keep it from even their family, and a child can't be relied upon to keep a secret.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@gardenman, how was Brooke able to call her son and tell him?  I thought on all of these shows the winner has to keep it from even their family, and a child can't be relied upon to keep a secret.

Well, she did tell him not to tell any of his friends and with her parents there, the odds of it staying a secret from him were pretty slim. Can you imagine trying to keep a secret like that from an inquisitive child? The nonstop nagging whenever you're in his presence would be enough to lead to filicide. (The killing of one's child, and no I didn't know that, I had to look it up. The list of types of killings is quite impressive. Here's a link if anyone's interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_killing)

Who knew there was a specfic word for killing a Bishop? (Episcopicide if anyone's interested. I should remember that and use it the next time I'm playing chess and take someone's bishop or they take mine.) If you should ever stumble upon a prophet and kill them you've committed vaticide. Some are things I don't understand. Chronocide is the killing of nine computors. (And yes they spell computors with an "o'"  not an "e".) I wonder what a computor is and why you have to kill nine of them to earn a name? By the way Google doesn't know what a computor is either. It could be a misprint but it's not Wikipedia to have a misprint. (Ha!)

It seems I've veered off topic. If you follow Brooke on Twitter you'd see that Brooke and her son are together nearly nonstop, so keeping it a secret from him would have been nearly impossible. Her chef at the restaurant knows who won, her parents know who won, it's kind of weird to exclude the person she's closest to from that knowledge. Expecting her to keep it a secret from him would have been expecting too much.This way they got some cute footage of her telling him and saved her a massive headache.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Great points, @gardenman.  Thanks, I get it now.

I'm doubled over with laughter at your post.  Wish you'd do a daily post on anything that strikes your fancy, or have a blog.  What a gem of a post, hilarious!