Honored Contributor

Re: Top Chef Season 14 Episode 14 Finale *Spoilers*

I completely forgot the finale was on tonight but I'll catch the rerun on Saturday.  I did skip over to the Bravo website and saw who won which I have to say was not a surprise for me from the beginning of the season.  I'll be interested in watching them cook during the finale as I am a klutz in the kitchen and appreciate talent . . . Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

So disappointed it wasn't Sheldon I don't even care who won.  😔 

Honored Contributor

It was a good show and a good season. I thought it was funny that Shirley grabbed Casey as her first pick of sous chef, more to keep Casey away from Brooke than wanting Casey on her team, and then Casey ended up turning out the only dish that won for Shirley (the dessert.) Brooke's pick of Sam as her sous chef was really smart. He apparently cooked the octopus to perfection and was very meticulous in preparing that and the other stuff he worked on. With the octopus he was constantly testing each piece and removing each piece to a sheet pan when it neared being done to prevent it overcooking. With Sam and Sheldon as her sous chefs, Brooke had a big advantage. It allowed her to more delegate what to do rather than do everything herself and know it would be done right. Her only real hiccup was the flan taking too long to cook in the oven.

The live quickfire on Facebook before the show was pretty interesting. I'd assumed that would feature Shirley and Brooke, but instead featured Casey and Sam. Casey looked younger and prettier somehow. I'm guessing they used a full hair and makeup team for the live quickfire instead of letting the chefs fix themselves up for the show. We also had Shirley and Brooke popping up on Padma's iPad and offering encouragement to the two. It was a lot more chaotic with camera opeators and other people all over the place, but it was kind of a neat behind the scenes look at what happens in a quickfire. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

So, another season comes to a close. As figured, Brooke won the title. I'm not saying that she didn't deserve it, because she's obviously been successful in her professional life, & I'm sure that her food is delicious.

I think the one thing that Brooke lacks, for me at least, is passion. With some other chefs, it's almost a tangible thing. You could feel both Sheldon & Shirley's passion for their food, while Brooke seems more...formulaic somehow?

But admittedly, Brooke has slightly annoyed me throughout the season. She's got a snobby air, and had a vague way of casting shade on Shirley.

Last night, regarding the pork butt that Brooke herself had forgotten to order & that Shirley had, Brooke had the gall to say in frustration "I just want to know what my ingredients are before going into the kitchen tomorrow."

Why was it Shirley's problem? What did Shirley do wrong? If Brooke thought it was "the perfect dish", then she should've had the presence of mind to order it.

IDK who won fan favorite. Please tell!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I don't understand how a person can win a finale when other people cook a lot of the food. Sous chef, fine, but not cooking the food.  Brooke had to ask Sheldon how long he cooked the octopus, and that is the only dish in her finale that I would have eaten, can't call it her dish, the rest of her food, no way.

I liked four of Shirley's dishes, would have glady eaten those.  Shirley was on top and telling her helpers what to do.  I hope the exposure brings her progress in her career, now that it has been shown how well she cooks.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I don't understand how a person can win a finale when other people cook a lot of the food. Sous chef, fine, but not cooking the food.  Brooke had to ask Sheldon how long he cooked the octopus, and that is the only dish in her finale that I would have eaten, can't call it her dish, the rest of her food, no way.

I liked four of Shirley's dishes, would have glady eaten those.  Shirley was on top and telling her helpers what to do.  I hope the exposure brings her progress in her career, now that it has been shown how well she cooks.

Casey made Shirley's dessert which was the only course the judge's preferred over Brooke's.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

Casey made Shirley's dessert which was the only course the judge's preferred over Brooke's.

@shoptilyadropagain   I know, I watched the show.  Brooke cooked her desert and the judges hated it, as you know. At least Shirley told Casey exactly how to do it, whereas I believe that Sam just cooked the octopus.  Hardly matters now.

Honored Contributor

The show is so edited that it's nearly impossible to truly know who cooked what and how closely everyone was, or wasn't supervised. Editor's let us see what they want us to see and not always the way things really were done.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

@sabatini - Sheldon won fan's favorite.

@sabatini wrote:

So, another season comes to a close. As figured, Brooke won the title. I'm not saying that she didn't deserve it, because she's obviously been successful in her professional life, & I'm sure that her food is delicious.

I think the one thing that Brooke lacks, for me at least, is passion. With some other chefs, it's almost a tangible thing. You could feel both Sheldon & Shirley's passion for their food, while Brooke seems more...formulaic somehow?

But admittedly, Brooke has slightly annoyed me throughout the season. She's got a snobby air, and had a vague way of casting shade on Shirley.

Last night, regarding the pork butt that Brooke herself had forgotten to order & that Shirley had, Brooke had the gall to say in frustration "I just want to know what my ingredients are before going into the kitchen tomorrow."

Why was it Shirley's problem? What did Shirley do wrong? If Brooke thought it was "the perfect dish", then she should've had the presence of mind to order it.

IDK who won fan favorite. Please tell!

Respected Contributor

@mantaraye, that was so sweet of you to reply. Thanks a bunch! I'm so happy that Sheldon won it. Smiley Happy

Muddling through...