Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinking back to some of the kid's shows of years ago.

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@twinsister  "It's me, It's me....my name is Pinky Lee.  My late husband swears he was watching TV the day Pinky had a heart attack on TV.  We all loved Pinkie.

Romper Bomper, Stomper Do, Tell me, Tell me, Tell me do.....Remember that one?

It's Howdy Doody Time, It's Howdy Doody Time!  Come on kids let's start the show!

OK, so how do I remember some of that stuff when I forget what happened yesterday!  Ha!

@Annabellethecat66 - Yes - I remember Romper Bomper.   I can't believe I forgot to mention Howdy Dowdy!!!!   Such great memories!!

Honored Contributor

I loved Sherry Lewis and Lambchop,

Roy Rogers, Sky King,  And on weekdays  The Real McCoys with Walter Brennen who was Grandpappy Amos!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Zoom

Josie and the P***ycats

Schoolhouse Rock

Electra woman and Dyna girl

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Esteemed Contributor

Nobody else from Chicago?? There's probably one children's show above all others here:

Bozo the Clown
Honored Contributor

Remember the cartoon show Peabody and Sherman?  It was a little more intellectual (Ha) that some that we grew up with like Bugs Bunny.

How about Rocky and Bullwinkle.  Even as an adult now I could sit and watch Rocky and Bullwinkle.  They made jokes (clean) that were more along the lines of what an adult might get.  Just smarter jokes.  

We had Captain Kangroo (remember Mr. Green Jeans) and how about Soupy Sales (Soupy reminds me so much of Howie Mandell in the way they act).  I really liked Soupy Sales and the way he was always jumping around.

OK, on the last two I referenced, I cheated.....I looked them up.  Click here and bring back some memories.  Even back then us Baby Boomers were on top and controlling things....Ha!

http://www.tvparty.com/lostkids.html

Esteemed Contributor

I also remember Bozo, Shari Lewis and Lambchop and The Real McCoys - Grandpa walked with a limp.

Captain Kangaroo with Mr. Greenjeans and Grandfather Clock - his eyes would move back and forth.   Wow - I am really dating myself with these old shows!  Such a simpler time in our lives.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister Yes, it was a simple time for us, we were young.  However, I also remember the drills at school where we had to 'dive under something' because we might get bombed.  Remember how stupid that was?

Communism was our biggest fear.  Seems so strange to think about that now.  We didn't have to worry about someone cutting off our heads and hearing how hated we Americans are.

I've never minded being a Baby Boomer, actually I've always bragged about it.  I tell youngsters, "You know all of that plastic surgery?  Well, us Boomers didn't like looking old so we are the one's who made that a booming business".  How about this one?  "Harley Davidson stock shot up because us Boomers have the money (more than any generation) and we wanted motorcycles".

That's why it's so ironic the way Millennails supposedly decide the TV shows that are on today.  Did you know that?  They are the one's who supposedly buy thing, hence the advertisers go to them, again, hence the TV shows.

The joke is on them.  Many Millineals have zip money!  They live at home or mooch off of mom and dad because their student loans are up to the sky.  A lot of them have gotten degrees that haven't trained them for anything.

OK, I'll stop!  Where was I?  Oh!  Yes!  I'll go back to the soothing time of Captain Green Jeans......

Valued Contributor

My faves were

Bullwinkle

Captain Kangaroo

Jetson's

Bugs Bunny

Space Ghost

Johnny Quest

Flintstones

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

My favorite Saturday morning shows growing up in the 1950's were Andy's Gang, Roy Rogers, Sky King and Fury.

On weekdays I watched Captain Kangaroo, Kukla, Fran and Ollie, Romper Room and my favorite - Pinky Lee.

@twinsister

@Noel7

When I was little, I watched "The Howdy Doody Show" and a show with a guy who talked about outer space.  If we sent in fifty cents, we received a plastic sheet (special pen) that you stuck on your TV screen.  During each show, he would draw something rocket or planet related and we could draw over his drawing and keep it and study it until the following Saturday.

Also watched Roy Rogers and Sky King.

My favorite was a locally produced show which appeared on Saturdays on Channel 7 (ABC) in San Francisco.  It was "King Norman's Kingdom of Toys."  Only the commercials had to do with his retail toy stores.  His shows were actually very interesting.  One Saturday he had on a repeating guest who brought live animals to show and talk about them.  The animals were always of interest and many were those that we didn't have at our local zoo.  One day this guest brought his son with him and they had a kinkajou (king -ka-choo).  It was the best animal ever and his son did a good job of handling it.

Fast forward...

In 1967, I met the guy I I would marry.   We went to the zoo on a "date," because he told me he could educate me. Oh, really? Bottom line: he was the kid I saw on that show handling the kinkajou!!!  Still can't believe it!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal Go back up a ways.  Some of us remember kid's shows from the 1950's.