Honored Contributor

Re: The remake of the movie Beaches

i will be a dissenter here.

i do like idina  menzel......she was on watch what happens live a few nights ago and was actually quite funny and articulate.

i thought that the first BEACHES was just okay.....nothing special.

i found that the remake of BEACHES was just okay also.....again, nothing special.

neither was better or worse than the other.

i am kind of surprised that people find the original BEACHES to be that "great" or "special."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

i will be a dissenter here.

i do like idina  menzel......she was on watch what happens live a few nights ago and was actually quite funny and articulate.

i thought that the first BEACHES was just okay.....nothing special.

i found that the remake of BEACHES was just okay also.....again, nothing special.

neither was better or worse than the other.

i am kind of surprised that people find the original BEACHES to be that "great" or "special."

I agree. I do tear up when "Wind Beneath My Wings" plays, but otherwise both versions are just  chick flick melodramas. I like Idina Menzel ever since "Rent" and " Wicked." Loved the beach house and its furnishings, but thought it weird that they turned the show into an ad for the furniture! 

Honored Contributor

I watched part of it.  It was just "ok".

I thought the original was good, but I wasn't as big on it as most people were.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I did not see the remake & don't plan to. I'd love to see the original again though..

Honored Contributor

I watched it yesterday and I thought it was pretty well done.    I never was a huge fan of the original, though.  Not that I didn't like it at all.   But I never loved it.  I do love Bette Midler, though!  Smiley Happy

I also had recorded an 'after' show they did with the main stars and it was interesting.   One thing that was cool was that the girls who played them as kids are actually best friends.  Also, the woman who played young Cici's mother is the actual mother of the  girl who played young Hillary.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I watched it yesterday and I thought it was pretty well done.    I never was a huge fan of the original, though.  Not that I didn't like it at all.   But I never loved it.  I do love Bette Midler, though!  Smiley Happy

I also had recorded an 'after' show they did with the main stars and it was interesting.   One thing that was cool was that the girls who played them as kids are actually best friends.  Also, the woman who played young Cici's mother is the actual mother of the  girl who played young Hillary.

I enjoyed the After Party too.

Honored Contributor

I saw it was on last night.i watched the first hour. I wanted to give it a chance. It was horrible. Nothing like the original.  The actors were bad. The singing worse.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I agree. I tried to like it. It was nothing like the original. 

Honored Contributor

Lifetime tends to squeeze an old excellent movie into their two hour time slot which really is probably just an hour and a half considering commercials. The remake of Steel Magnolias was TERRIBLE! I wish they would stop doing this.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I watched it last night and thought it was good.