Honored Contributor

Re: The remake of the movie Beaches

I also have it scheduled.   I have no reason to pre-judge it.  I'll check it out and if it's not good it's not good. But I don't have any preconceived notion that it will just be bad.   Never know!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Reminder, it airs tonite at 8 ET on Lifetime.

Esteemed Contributor

@abbeythe 8th

I have to agree with  you. She does not have the Vocal chops IMHO of Bette Midler. I have set my DVR to record but I am afraid that I will be disappointed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle

Another movie that should have been left alone. The original Steel Magnolias, Terms of Endearment. I still become choked up and cry when I watch these movies.

Honored Contributor

It's probably just me, but you know how certain people just set your teeth on edge?    For some reason, I get a bad, visceral reaction from Idina Menzel.  I saw her on 'The Chew' the other day and it was just magnified.

I will still watch and, at that time, critique her performance as the Cici character.  But she's just one of those folks who makes me uncomfortable for a reason I'm not entirely certain.

Respected Contributor

I'm going to DVR it, but I've seen a couple of clips, and it just didn't seem that great.  I'm still going to give it a chance.  I loved the original "Beaches."  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Remember a young Mayim Bialek as the young CC, she was terrific, and Lainie Kazan as her overbearing Jewish mother was just perfect. I can still hear Bette singing Under the Boardwalk.

Respected Contributor

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't think "Beaches" was worth doing once, much less twice.

Honored Contributor

Idina Menzel was just on the radio (Entertainment Weekly, XM Satellite Radio) talking for an hour about making this movie.  She is fully aware and said she's prepared for all of the haters.

She said she kept turning down the part an then finally agreed.  She's wonderful.  So not full of herself, easy going, singing without music, etc.  I really enjoyed the interview she did.

Contributor

Don't bother. I tried to watch the first 15 minutes but you cannot remake a classic.