Honored Contributor

The Young Victoria (film) vs. Victoria on PBS

Just saw "The Young Victoria", a 2009 film starring Emily Blunt as Victoria.  It's fantastic!  The writing and acting are superb.  It tells the real story, how she fell for Albert as a teenager, how she never had eyes for anyone else, how Lord M. was just using her politically and she never loved him or had a crush on him.  It was only ever Albert.

I loved the movie.  And at the end, the credits, I learned it's written by Julian Fellowes and direct by Mark La Valee (who directed "Big Little Lies.")  I didn't even know Julian Fellowes had written a movie about Victoria.

I disliked the PBS series so much I quit halfway through.  It's written by novelist Daisy Goodwin from her historical fiction.  Emphasis on "fiction."  Victoria's story is not told honestly and that whole "downstairs" story is made up and stuck on like a barnacle.  The dialogue is atrociously stiff and most of it is false.

I don't know how this movie got by me but if you haven't seen it, I recommend you do.  It's historically accurate and of a very high quality. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The Young Victoria (film) vs. Victoria on PBS

I enjoyed the movie also.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I bought it few yrs. ago.

Honored Contributor

Whoopsie, just read about it on Wikipedia and there's two things in it that didn't happen. 

Spoiler
Albert was not at the coronation and Albert did cover Victoria with his body when someone tried to shoot her, but the bullet only grazed him, didn't wound him

Still, it's mostly true.  A zillion times better than the PBS version.

Honored Contributor

I loved the movie when it came out and I own it. I didn't even try watching the PBS series. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing is as bad as the TV series they did on Henry the VIII with Jonathon Rhyls Myers. All that was , was smut. LOL  Henry never looked that good on his best day.  ROFL

Jonathan Rhys Meyers

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Henry never looked that good on his best day.  ROFL

Jonathan Rhys Meyers

According to historical records, Henry VIII was a very handsome prince & king when he was younger (teenager-40's).  If he looked like Jonathan Rhys Meyers for real, I would have been honored to be one of his jump offs. whistling.gif

He didn't get obese until he was near his 50's.

I have the complete DVD set/series of The Tutors.....

"I AM THE KING OF ENGLAND!!!!!!!"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif