Honored Contributor

Re: *** The Durrells on PBS ***

@golding76 wrote:

Judaline, although the show uses as its springboard The Corfu Trilogy by youngest Durrell child, the naturalist Gerald Durrell, the trilogy itself is regarded as somewhat fictionalized.  It seems Gerald himself liked to lend the characters to imagined situations.

The TV show could have dealt with any number of the main characters as well as minor ones for a long time.  With imagination given free rein, anything was posssible.  The writing was clever and easily engaged many viewers.  

All in all, it was far superior to Hotel Portofino, which I stopped watching despite some occasional lovely views of Croatia (where it was filmed).

Perhaps Hotel Portofino was a desperate attempt to retain the Durrells audience, but, sadly, it was a miserable flop for me.

The one son on the Durrells, don't remember his name now but he was the one who wasn't the author, is now on All Creatures Great and Small. At first I didn't think he was a good fit because I liked the Tristan who was in the first and original All Creatures Great and Small. But he has grown on me and I am liking this second compilation very much. Also would love to see the Durrells come back.