Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Sometimes I forget to check, but the PBS channel has been runnings some great, older (rock-type) concerts lately.

I just watched one of my HUGE favorites - Simon & Garfunkel.   So awesome!  They didn't do 'my' song, though (I Am A Rock) so, when I was finished I had to pull out my other headphones and iTunes.  Smiley Happy   That song and 'The Sound of Silence' always make me cry but I love them so much.

Also I see a Peter, Paul, & Mary concert running.  I've seen it a few times but I always watch it again anyway, if I happen to catch it.

John Denver, too.  (loved him!!)  After he died, every time I've gone to Monterey/Pacific Grove (a place dear to my heart), I go sit on a rock out there where he died to think about him.  :'(

I've been singing so, of course, Ru keeps coming up to me to see if I'm ok.  Ha!   Everybody's a critic!  The bird has been dancing.  Good times.  Smiley Happy

Any other PBS concerts that are favorites out there in Q-Land? 

I like just about everything except country western -  Well, unless it's Dolly Parton.  Love her!  Smiley Happy

They did I Am A Rock at the actual concert.  I was there in 1981, about 20 ft from the stage!  I love, love, love Simon & Garfunkel!

Honored Contributor

Oh wow, that's so awesome!  I'm very jealous. 

I guess they probably cut out a fair amount to do the funding drive commercial bits.   I figured maybe I'm just the only one who loves that song so much.

I wish I had gotten to see them live.   I bet you had a great time!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TV: PBS Concerts

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I guess they probably cut out a fair amount to do the funding drive commercial bits.   I figured maybe I'm just the only one who loves that song so much.

Back then no one ever expected it to be the event it turned out to be - half a million people!  But we did get to Central Park early that day to hang out on the Great Lawn and secure our close up spot.  S&G toured about 10 years ago- I saw them then too. Twice! Heart  I've seen them  solo  as well- great shows but the 'magic spark' is missing.  

Esteemed Contributor

PBS has broadcast some very nice music from our nation's capitol.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  Just have to agree, PP & M are definitely on my "hit-list!"  On it also would be: Mick J; John D; the Beatles (don't laugh)... there would probably also be a few rock groups, too!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

ibb38 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Back then no one ever expected it to be the event it turned out to be - half a million people!  But we did get to Central Park early that day to hang out on the Great Lawn and secure our close up spot.  S&G toured about 10 years ago- I saw them then too. Twice! Heart  I've seen them  solo  as well- great shows but the 'magic spark' is missing.  

Oh wow!    I wonder if there is a DVD or Bluray of the UNCUT concert.

I think that tour about 10 years ago was one when I tried to see them.  IIRC, they were going to be a 2 hour hour drive from here on my birthday and I really really wanted to go.  That was all I wanted.  Unfortunately, that didn't work out for me.  Smiley Sad  

Honored Contributor

lovestoteach wrote:

@chickenbutt  Just have to agree, PP & M are definitely on my "hit-list!"  On it also would be: Mick J; John D; the Beatles (don't laugh)... there would probably also be a few rock groups, too!

I have at least one huge box set of PP&M - DVDs and CDs, so you get a bunch of concert footage, as well as some of their CDs so that you have everything they ever did. 

Such beautiful harmony!  Some of those songs make me cry, too.  Smiley Sad   I'm so NOT a sap and actually hate crying, but I could fill up a small iPod with songs that make me cry every time.

Honored Contributor

I always cry when I hear "Over the Rainbow."  Always.  

Valued Contributor

PBS is a great place for concerts.  I caught the Simon & Garfunkel one twice last week.  Some of my favorites are The Bee Gees - One Night Only, a couple of really old Billy Joel concerts, The Moody Blues, Styx, David Foster and Friends, Andrea Bocelli, and Sarah Brightman.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Trusted Contributor

Although they are before my time, I love Simon & Garfunkel.  I think The Sound of Silence is one of the best songs in music history.  I also love I Am a Rock.  Those are my 2 favorites.  I DVR'd the Central Park Concert a few weeks ago and really enjoyed watching it.  So much so that I left it on my DVR to watch again.  If I run out of space when TV season starts I will delete it.  You can also watch it on YouTube.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*