Super Contributor

THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA - "Dysfunctional Dynasty" (S1/Ep09) - 11.19.2014

I'm so glad that NBC's The Mysteries of Laura clicked with viewers despite being ambushed initially by mostly negative reviews.

Debra Messing is engaging and often hilarious as harried NYPD homicide Det. Laura Diamond. The ensemble cast is to be commended, especially Laz Alonso as her partner Billy Soto and Josh Lucas as her wayward ex-husband and now Commanding Officer, Capt. Jake Broderick. The standout among the precinct populace is Max Jenkins as rich kid, cop-loving, unpaid intern Max Carnegie. His flamboyant OTT personality, fasohion sense and pop culture references are hysterical.

Everything about the show is much improved from the pilot, where silliness trumped crime-solving. There's a much better mix of law and laughter now. Perhaps best of all was de-emphasizing the demonic duo, her positively possessed twin pre-schoolers. Incidentally, I thought their mischief was just Hollywood hyperbole until I saw that viral video of the two little boys who painted themselves. Their father had parked them in the bathtub and attempted to scold them but ended up laughing uncontrollably as he recorded their artistic endeavor.

Just as Murphy Brown relied on an endless string of office assistants as the show's running gag, Laura has mined lots of laughs from the most farcical nannies on the planet. Not one comes near Mary Poppins or even Mrs. Doubtfire. The rebellious space cadet with daddy issues who was arrested while protesting was fun while she lasted, but it seems like now those devilish kids have met their match.

In tonite's ep, as a potential caregiver, Laura and Jake interviewed Alicia, the woman in the park several weeks ago who was appalled at the twins' lack of appropriate toilet training and especially the venue they selected to display their hygienic shortcomings. She looks like a keeper, one who can whip the whole family into shape with her no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners attitude.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA - ""Dysfunctional Dynasty"" (S1/Ep09) - 11.19.2014

I enjoy this show, Messing is so much fun in this role.

Honored Contributor

I haven't watched the current episode yet (probably tonight), so I didn't read the entire OP, but I'd be glad to hear that it's getting a better rap than at first. I've enjoyed the show. I really like her. She totally cracks me up and I'd bet that her smile just lights up a room. I love her smile. Anyway, as an actor and a comedienne, she is just tops with me.

Esteemed Contributor

I completely enjoy this show too. Just a fun show that you don't have to think too hard...just relax and be entertained!

Trusted Contributor

ITA Keri, I love the way you said it! This show and the interaction between the office mates and the various offbeat nannies is priceless.

Honored Contributor

Love it! And it doesn't have a laugh track. I just think she's great.