Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "THE WHITE KNIGHT" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN

[ Edited ]

I sound repetitive, but this was a very good episode.  There were some twists and turns that I did not see coming.  It never occured to me that Pat may be Russ' wife or that Glen would kill his wife!  I know it wasn't premeditated on Glen's part, just spur of the moment that benefitted his plan.

I was a little surprised that there wasn't even a mention of notifying Lt. Gerard about Kimble's location.  For me, it was implausible that Kimble went with Russ to see Glen instead of leaving town. I know he was forced by Russ, but after meeting with Pat at the bar, I thought Kimble would have left to avoid getting more involved. Of course, there would be no story if he did leave.  

Pat wearing that scarf/turban was definitely reminiscient of Grace Kelly in To Catch a Thief. The phone in the car for that time period was like something out of a James Bond movie. 

@Oznell  & @Oznell My thoughts on the spoiler - I agree that it was nice to see Kimble getting a warm send-off instead of the usual hitchhiking on a lonely road or jumping into a freight car.  I think that calling Russ an enraged nemesis wasn't really accurate.  Yes- he was enraged, but he was under Glen's control and it was just briefly, not from the beginning.  I do like the "foe by proxy" term, since to me in essence, that is what Russ was doing.

It was nice to see how both Pat and Russ did the right thing at the end. Once again Kimble helped others to be better both physcally and morally.

Edited to add:  @Oznell - Yes - I did feel bad for Glen's wife too.  She was a victim of falling for his charms that led to an unhappy life for her.

Honored Contributor

Of course Pat was my favorite character in this episode. A flawed character who wanted to be better. I especially liked that she had already realized her initial attraction to Russ was a mistake. He was what my grandmother used to call "an empty vessel" meaning he was all show with no substance.

Poor Claire. She had obviously sustained more than a few of her husband's dalliances. When Glen pushed her I don't think the intent was to hurt her; however he also didn't do anything to help her. By moving her body and all the other accompanying things he did to make it seem like DJ was the perpetrator racked up his crimes and hopefully his eventual sentencing.

Glen had a gem in Russ. Too bad he used him and belittled him to make himself look better.

@twinsister  I also wondered why the officers didn't notify Gerard but quickly pushed the thought out of my mind. His presence wasn't needed.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

I wish there weren't so many alcoholic women in these shows.  

@twinsister. I agree with what you wrote about @Oznell 's  spoiler comment.  Like @Tique  I'm glad they didn't call Gerard (even though I do like his character). I just had enough of him from a couple of Sqweeks ago when he was hurt and Kimble gave him a transfusion.  Also I would think some of these police departments would resent outside "help".  In a lot of cop shows they get quite territorial about jurisdiction so I'm not surprised they didn't call G. 

Agree with @Tique  Jessica's awakening to Glen's real character was intrresting to watch.  What a horrible person to want to pin his wife's accidental death on the man who saved his life.

Did anyone else notice the stunt double's larger than DJ's derriere when he carried Jessica away from the plane?

Honored Contributor

@twinsister, you're not being repetitive, I love hearing other people's takes on the episodes, whether same or different...

You mention some key things that made it special for me too--  the sheer number of surprises in the plot.   Love to be kept guessing. 

Good point about Kimble still being there, and going along with Russ to the house, etc.  Hubby and I said the same thing-- he needed to have made an excuse, feigned illness, ANYTHING to avoid sticking around one second longer.

A slight point, but I remain unconvinced that enraged nemesis doesn't fit, because of the psychology of the situation--  Glenn was a master at transferring to Russ the ugly or nefarious parts of what he had to do--  and poor Russ at that point, was his to mould and became, for that brief focused time, his stand-in in the pursuit of Kimble. You could see the 'transfer', it was an eerie demonstration of Glenn's ability to manipulate.  But I guess I also like my coinage of "proxy foe" because it is more exact, at least.

Agreed, @Tique ,  Pat was a fascinating, layered, character, and well-played by Jessica Walter.  I hadn't thought how Glenn moving all that stuff and (one hopes, leaving evidence of what he did) would be obvious to the police and result in him being unmasked more easily.  That is a satisfying thought!

I was a little surprised he could hobble around doing as much as he did, but I suppose the adrenaline was pumping at quite a clip by then....

Honored Contributor

Oh, just saw your post, @Pearlee --  no I didn't notice that differently built stunt double,, but now I'm intrigued enough to check that scene out again!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell - Your statement about Glen transferring the nefarious parts he needed Russ to do reminded me of how the aliens transformed the captured earthlings to do their work in The Invaders! It was as if Russ was transformed.  Lin McCarthy was in this week's T.I. episode.

@Pearlee - Sorry for the mini-hijacking of the thread!  I did not notice the stunt double, but I deleted the episode, so I can't go back and watch the scene again.

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @Pearlee , thanks, I checked out that rescue scene the stunt double did, and I do see the difference!   Funny!

Good comparison, @twinsister .   Thanks for the heads up, I love Lin McCarthy in everything, and that's a good "Invaders" episode, if sobering.  True to Quinn Martin "cross-pollination" of his various shows, it also has other Fuge alums in it like James Daly and Pat Cardi.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. 😂Thanks for taking the time to go back and look, and also for confirming. DJ has a cute butt so I noticed right away  the stunt guy's  was different. 😂  (Mine is closer to the stunt guy's!)

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Oznell. 😂Thanks for taking the time to go back and look, and also for confirming. DJ has a cute butt so I noticed right away  the stunt guy's  was different. 😂  (Mine is closer to the stunt guy's!)

@Pearlee - I'm going to have to be more observant of DJ!!!

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pearlee - I'm going to have to be more observant of DJ!!!

@twinsister. I posted about it in my post above(probably my first post) before the show aired, to alert everyone to look for it. 😁