Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "ILL WIND" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@twinsister wrote:

Such a dreary, dismal episode and that singing didn't help. For me there wasn't much to like about this one.  I'm confused with two things. How did the migrant workers know Mike had a medical background?  They came directly to him for help with the little girl.  Also how did Kimble know Gerard's blood type?  Maybe I missed something.  With that background noise from the howling wind, I found it hard at times to understand what they were saying.

So once again, Kimble helped others with their medical problems and helped them to become a better person.  It was admirable how the workers were so protective of him.  I did like how the young girl at the end quoted Kimble about saving someone's life.

I have no desire to see this episode again.

@twinsister. The wind noise didn't keep me from hearing anything, watching on my disc.  I'm OK with Kimble knowing Gerard's blood type; I assume he looked for a card in his wallet or asked him out of our sight.  I'm also OK with the migrants turning to Kimble to help the little girl. He seemed to be with that group for a while now and, was apparently a well-spoken and educated man (as opposed to how many of the others spoke English). it's natural that they'd turn to him.

I've posted before that I don't really like the migrant workers episodes, they aren't in my top tier shows although this one was "OK."  I really think there are too many implausibilities.

Gerard is not the kind of compassionate guy to leave a much safer building where he had his long-sought escapee finally captured, to move to a riskier structure with him for the sake of the little girl.

Letting Kimble out of handcuffs also wasn't real plausible. Yes he had a gun but the crowd that was on Kimble's side could have easily overpowered him and taken his gun away. 

I do like when what happens in the Epilog immediately follows what happened in Act IV.  I think DJ kind of sleep walked through this epi; his heart wasn't in it, although he did shoot some good looks toward Tim McIntire about the singing, esp when Tim sang the "going to hell" lyrics.

How many times now has Gerard chased after Kimble after seeing a photo in the newspaper?  There was the school bus accident one, and if memory serves me right, the upcoming really good epi with Steven Hill. Maybe others too... No wonder Kimble is so wary about having his photo taken.

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, good insight into Gerard, @Pearlee   -- that struck me too, that it seemed very out of character for him to allow Kimble that much freedom of movement, changing locations, etc., when he finally had him cornered once more!

Also agree that DJ seemed not terribly engaged in the episode.  I did like that when Kate was embracing him (I think when he left them the first time to go catch the train), he made that tiny little gesture of kissing her hair while hugging her.  It was sweet, and I think he's done the same thing with Donna, or other women he cares about in the course of the series....   just a little thing, but for some reason, seems heartfelt.... 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Yes he does do that little sweet "signature kiss" --- believe me I've noticed it hundreds of times over the years and been jealous, although while it is sweet, it also strikes me as a little awkward too.  I'm pretty sure we'll see it during his romance with Janice Rule  in next season's Walls of Night. Talk about my jealousy... ❤

Respected Contributor

This man goes through more suitcases and duffle bags...

I didn't mind the singing too much. It was something different until Act 4 when it became repetitive and the attempted ominous foreshadowing fell flat.

Since Gerard was conscious I figured he just asked him his blood type. 

Kimble always leads by example, while Gerard continues to show how uncomfortable and unable to adapt he is with different subcultures.

Honored Contributor

Your last sentence so true, @Etoile308 ,  and so powerful!

Esteemed Contributor

There was a post on Facebook tonight of a TV Guide listing from Tuesday, August 9, 1966. The Fuge was a repeate episode - Running Scared.  Also on earlier was Dr. Kildare and Peyton Place came on right before The Fuge.   I watched both those shows too. 

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

There was a post on Facebook tonight of a TV Guide listing from Tuesday, August 9, 1966. The Fuge was a repeate episode - Running Scared.  Also on earlier was Dr. Kildare and Peyton Place came on right before The Fuge.   I watched both those shows too. 

@twinsister  I watched those also but have no recollection of PP being on the same night as the Fuge.

Richard Chamberlain was another crush from back then. We didn't know  he's gay. He was ridiculously handsome in the 1960s.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@twinsister wrote:

@twinsister  I watched those also but have no recollection of PP being on the same night as the Fuge.

Richard Chamberlain was another crush from back then. We didn't know  he's gay. He was ridiculously handsome in the 1960s.

@Pearlee - Another one we both like.  Agree he was so handsome back then.  Saw him in person in a Broadway play in 1987 and he still looked good.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - I came across a video this morning on Youtube by accident and thought of you.

It is a clip from the 1966 Emmy awards with Anne Francis and David Janssen presenting best actor and actress in a comedy series.  Wow - did he look handsome in his tuxedo!

Sorry, I can't post a link, but if you are interested, do a search for TV Tidbits 15 - 1966 Emmys.  He comes in around the 3:06 mark.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - I came across a video this morning on Youtube by accident and thought of you.

It is a clip from the 1966 Emmy awards with Anne Francis and David Janssen presenting best actor and actress in a comedy series.  Wow - did he look handsome in his tuxedo!

Sorry, I can't post a link, but if you are interested, do a search for TV Tidbits 15 - 1966 Emmys.  He comes in around the 3:06 mark.

@twinsister  Thanks! I'll look for it.

DJ did look great on a tux. 💘  And in everything else! Interesting find since we are watching the 1966 shows now.