Honored Contributor

Re: THE CASE OF JONBENET RAMSEY: CBS DOCUSERIES PREMIERES 9/!8

@fortune, it's a fact that Burke is heard on the 911 call.  I read they are going to play the call on the CBS show.  In the promo they show the 911 operator expressing frustration that she didn't testify.

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@scotnovel, I agree with most of what you wrote.  But if you read post 33 the grand jury did in fact indict the Ramsey parents.  They used their influence which went all the way up to the governor's office to ensure those indictments did not even see the light of day for 14 years.

What dead child's parents don't cooperate with police?  Leave town?  Don't spend one penny to find their kid's killer?  That is just so completely abnormal.  It's what OJ did.  

True the grand jury indicted them but on what evidence - the faulty evidence from the faulty investigation?  There is a saying that in the legal profession something to the effect that a prosecutor can get a cheese sandwich indicted in a grand jury so I don't put much stock in that.

The former police chief also years later, based on that DNA evidence wrote a letter to the Ramsey's apologizing to them and said publically, on more than one occasion, that they were exonerated. 

I agree the behavior of the parents was strange, but if I were in that circumstance and had the means to leave, I would not have stayed in that town allowing myself and my son to be constantly hounded by police, press, locals, and schoolground bullies. I'm sure their lawyer told them to stop cooperating with the police once it became evident they were the prime suspects.  As to whether they spent money to find their child's killer I don't know that they didn't.  I also don't think it would have helped because, back to the crime scene, the evidence was limited and anything their hire would have found would have been immediately discredited by the press. 

Honored Contributor

@scotnovel, as I've said upthread a few times I welcome honest discussion.  I am somewhat obsessed with the case again.  After Kolar's book it went away but knowing the show is coming up has got me going again and I've found some evidence I didn't know existed and hope to find more.

No police officer ever exonerated the Ramseys.  The DAs did.  They're elected.  The Ramseys had a lot of political power.  Alex Hunter, the original DA, some said he didn't pursue the grand jury's indictment because assuming Burke did it, he felt sorry for them.  I can understand that.  Others said he knew he could never prove the case since the grand jury could not say who exactly did each individual piece of the crime.

Mary Lacey, the subsequent DA who did exonerate the family or tried to in a craftily worded statement, she's a political hack.  The business of the DNA, someone challenged me on that extra DNA and so I read up on it.  We're asked to believe one person's foreign DNA means an intruder.  Well there were five people's DNA so -- five intruders?

I didn't mean the Ramseys should have stayed in Boulder for good; I agree they had to leave.  I think they should have stayed until the coroner released their daughter's body but they were in an awful hurry to get out of town.  The tug-of-war about the body that followed was shameful on the Ramseys' part and the part of the police.

And while it's true their lawyer told them to stop cooperating with the police, it was before they were officially suspects.  They never cooperated.  Not for one day.  

I would LOVE to find out it was an intruder.  They say JonBenet is the most famous unsolved murder after Jack the Ripper.  I hate the thought that she was living in that house with a wacky mother who had a temper, a father who may have been abusing her, a brother who was cruel to her and maybe abusing her, wetting her bed, putting in her blue contacts and supposedly yelling in pain while Patsy bleached her hair blonde because the hairdresser refused, because it hurt JB -- 

I want it to be an intruder so bad.  I think I can generalize and say everyone in the entire world wants it to be an intruder.  

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@scotnovel, as I've said upthread a few times I welcome honest discussion.  I am somewhat obsessed with the case again.  After Kolar's book it went away but knowing the show is coming up has got me going again and I've found some evidence I didn't know existed and hope to find more.

No police officer ever exonerated the Ramseys.  The DAs did.  They're elected.  The Ramseys had a lot of political power.  Alex Hunter, the original DA, some said he didn't pursue the grand jury's indictment because assuming Burke did it, he felt sorry for them.  I can understand that.  Others said he knew he could never prove the case since the grand jury could not say who exactly did each individual piece of the crime.

Mary Lacey, the subsequent DA who did exonerate the family or tried to in a craftily worded statement, she's a political hack.  The business of the DNA, someone challenged me on that extra DNA and so I read up on it.  We're asked to believe one person's foreign DNA means an intruder.  Well there were five people's DNA so -- five intruders?

I didn't mean the Ramseys should have stayed in Boulder for good; I agree they had to leave.  I think they should have stayed until the coroner released their daughter's body but they were in an awful hurry to get out of town.  The tug-of-war about the body that followed was shameful on the Ramseys' part and the part of the police.

And while it's true their lawyer told them to stop cooperating with the police, it was before they were officially suspects.  They never cooperated.  Not for one day.  

I would LOVE to find out it was an intruder.  They say JonBenet is the most famous unsolved murder after Jack the Ripper.  I hate the thought that she was living in that house with a wacky mother who had a temper, a father who may have been abusing her, a brother who was cruel to her and maybe abusing her, wetting her bed, putting in her blue contacts and supposedly yelling in pain while Patsy bleached her hair blonde because the hairdresser refused, because it hurt JB -- 

I want it to be an intruder so bad.  I think I can generalize and say everyone in the entire world wants it to be an intruder.  

@LoriLori  Please speak only for yourself.   I am "in the entire world" and I don't want it to be an intruder.  The fact is JonBenet is dead, so I "want it to be" the person who killed her - whether intentionally or by accident, however.  I "want it to be" that person and I want that person to suffer the consequences, whomever it is.  So no, I don't "want it to be" an intruder, which I don't even think is a credible possibility.  I want it to be the person, and I think that person is a family member, however awful that is to face.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee, you're right, point taken. 

Speaking only for myself (how's that?) I would prefer the face of cruelty and/or rage and/or depravity that JB looked into, the last face she saw on earth, did not belong to someone she loved.  

A five-year-old girl disappeared this week.  Body found in the woods.  Perpetrator arrested.  Mark Klaas's daughter found, her killer tried and in prison.   John Walsh and his ex-wife waited many years but the time came when the police declared that the man John suspected had killed Adam, did in fact kill Adam.  That man was already in prison.

No one will ever pay for what happened to JB.  No child should have to face danger and abuse in his or her own family.  

You're right, this is JMO.  

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori, I'm not hearing what you say Dr. Lee "what he says in the trailer says a lot".  

?????

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate, Dr. Lee says:

"So you try to solve a homicide, but a homicide does not exist."  

And that's the whole case in a nutshell.  "Homicide" means a deliberate killing.  This was an accident followed by a cover-up.  No kidnapping and no homicide.

One could also say, "So you focus on a kidnapping, but a kidnapping did not exist."  And that's what sunk this whole case from the very beginning.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I went to Borders today to pick up the Kolar book, having seen online that Borders carries it.  However, I learned it is "not available in stores" (I never put it in my cart online, which is why I didn't know that).   Furthermore, Borders online lists it as something Borders has, but it doesn't really, not in stock.  According to the Borders manager, it's "supplied to Borders by a third party"  similar to the way Amazon will list something but not have it at the Amazon warehouse but only through a third party.  So I placed an order for it but it is "published on demand."   The manager is not certain I would get one, but I "should." 

It's been ridiculous trying to get this book.   I placed my order and fortuantely didn't have to pay for it until I pick it up - if it ever arrives.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would hope that all of us here would hope it had never happened, but it did! I think the idea behind hoping it was an intruder was meant that it would be easier to understand if some unknown person who didn't love JB had come in and committed the brutal crimes! 

Unfortunately, deep in my soul I believe Burke did it. I also believe he knew he did it and showed no remorse ! I had a close relative who I could see doing something like this and I see his smile in Burke's smile! Unfortunately, my relative was mentally ill, but not to the degree that he didn't know what he was doing, and he revalled in the havoc he caused!

As I (think) I've said before, I think JB was running away from Patsy, who was angry at her for soiling herself again. Patsy (may have) told JB to put the nightie she was found with on. Not wanting to, she was partially playfully running from her, saw Burke with the bowl of pineapple and stopped to help herself. This (may have) upset him, (possibly) causing him to grab the flashlight (which may have been) left out on the counter for any number of reasons, and after (possibly) chasing her to the basement and hitting her in the head with it, he hid her injured body in the suitcase. He then went up and got ready for bed.  I don't think anyone else knew what had happened and simply assumed she was hiding from Patsy. I'm not sure what happened after this, but a number of scenarios fit. Again, I want the world to know that, like others, I am now interested in the case but as much I enjoy trying to put the pieces together, I do not take any joy in the fact that this is a true case involving the death of a precious little girl!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Does anybody know the source stating that John Ramsey referred to JonBenet as "Lolita" and a "pint-sized sex pot."?

This really is jarring and adds another dimension to this awful awful case!