Super Contributor

THE BLACKLIST - "The Alchemist" (S1/Ep12) - 01.20.2014

It sounds like we're in for another great episode of The Blacklist tonight. Thus far, Blacklist has never failed to deliver.

According to the description: "The team goes undercover to pursue The Alchemist, who uses science to transform DNA and who's been assigned to protect a mob informant. Liz targets an unlikely couple. Tom and Liz's relationship is tested. Ressler faces a big decision."

BTW - after tonight's installment, there's only one more new episode before the two week break for NBC's coverage of the Olympics from Sochi.

Super Contributor

Re: THE BLACKLIST - ""The Alchemist"" (S1/Ep12) - 01.20.2014

I thought Lizzie had received an extreme makeover. The hair and make-up in this episode looked better than ever.

The other interesting aspect was how closely the new teacher, Jolene, resembled Lizzie. Considering how strange The Blacklist has been at times, at the very start of the hour, I thought Jolene was a product of The Alchemist's ability to replicate people and that she was designed to become Lizzie's replacement in some nefarious scheme.

Tom most definitely sees Jolene as a future possibility; someone who defers to his wants, wishes and needs infinitely more than his intensely career-obsessed wife. Apparently it's immaterial that he's less than supportive of Lizzie's goals. He barely communicates except to announce that he's going across country on a job interview.

I don't like Tom and I don't trust him. I wish Red would add Tom's name to his list, check it twice, determine that he's been very naughty not nice, then terminate him quickly and with extreme prejudice.

Did anyone feel that there wasn't nearly enough of Red in this episode?

Where did all of that baby business come from? Perhaps I tuned out previously, but I don't remember hearing Tom and Lizzie ever discuss becoming parents, so that baby shower was a BIG surprise to me. Are they adopting or using a surrogate?

What about the revelation in next week's promo: are we really supposed to believe that dutiful, loyal, industrious Agent Meera Malik (Parminder Nagra) really is The Mole? Or is this just a red herring to throw us off balance and keep us occupied during The Blacklist's break for the Olympics?

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/21/2014 keri said:

Where did all of that baby business come from? Perhaps I tuned out previously, but I don't remember hearing Tom and Lizzie ever discuss becoming parents, so that baby shower was a BIG surprise to me. Are they adopting or using a surrogate?

The first episode started with them adopting a baby - or meeting with the adoption agency or something like that. I think Lizzie missed the appointment because of the case of the week. I don't know if they are now adopting or using a surrogate, but it's been in the background since day one. Regardless, I think it's a stupid subplot - her job has gotten more dangerous with her association with Red, her husband has been attacked in their home and they found their home bugged. Not exactly the safest environment to bring a baby. But, then again, Lizzie works for the FBI and, in this television reality, the FBI can't figure out anything unless Red tells them how to do it.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:
On 1/21/2014 keri said:

What about the revelation in next week's promo: are we really supposed to believe that dutiful, loyal, industrious Agent Meera Malik (Parminder Nagra) really is The Mole? Or is this just a red herring to throw us off balance and keep us occupied during The Blacklist's break for the Olympics?

That's what I'm thinking.

I suspected that Agent Malik was the mole because she seemed so unlikely. A mole that seemed untrustworthy wouldn't be successful.

Respected Contributor

On 1/21/2014 occasional rain said:
On 1/21/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:
On 1/21/2014 keri said:

That's what I'm thinking.

I suspected that Agent Malik was the mole because she seemed so unlikely. A mole that seemed untrustworthy wouldn't be successful.

I agree. I suspected her as the mole as soon as the computer guy was cleared. I was sure it wasn't Cooper or Ressler so it had to be her. But it sounds like she and Red are going to be making some kind of deal.

Honored Contributor

Re mole: I sure didn't see that one coming. Its got to be her, who is left? And I apologize for saying last week Lizzie looked terrible in that short wig. It was another character that had nothing to do with her. But she does look too perfect in the long wig. Muss her up a little to match her job.

Honored Contributor

I have another point. I can't imagine the FBI would consider a church a sanctuary as far as apprehending someone as high profile as Red. (It must have been a synagogue because he was wearing a yarmulke). Does anyone know the real law pertaining to this?

Respected Contributor

The adoption was mentioned early on in the season, but wasn't it too unbelievable that Tom, who wants the adoption, is going on a job interview in Nebraska? I don't think adoption agencies just let you up and move right after they let you have a baby. And the surprise shower? Well, I guess the show had to introduce the fake substitute teacher who will now seduce Tom.

I wasn't sure, was the photograph that Red looked at the same girl as the substitute teacher? Is she a plant from Red or someone else, like apple eating surveillance guy, for example? And does Ressler's former girlfriend really serve a purpose on the show? Interestingly, they are all kind of generic brunettes. I'm not sure I can tell them apart.

All in all, last nights episode was kind of lame. Hopefully it was setting up stuff for better episodes in the future. Maybe Meera will have a larger part in the show now.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/21/2014 smokymtngal said:

The adoption was mentioned early on in the season, but wasn't it too unbelievable that Tom, who wants the adoption, is going on a job interview in Nebraska? I don't think adoption agencies just let you up and move right after they let you have a baby. And the surprise shower? Well, I guess the show had to introduce the fake substitute teacher who will now seduce Tom.

I wasn't sure, was the photograph that Red looked at the same girl as the substitute teacher? Is she a plant from Red or someone else, like apple eating surveillance guy, for example? And does Ressler's former girlfriend really serve a purpose on the show? Interestingly, they are all kind of generic brunettes. I'm not sure I can tell them apart.

All in all, last nights episode was kind of lame. Hopefully it was setting up stuff for better episodes in the future. Maybe Meera will have a larger part in the show now.

I agree about all the brunettes!! Maybe last night wasn't a good night to introduce her given the main plot was about making clones - I thought she looked too much like Lizzie. They also edited to her right after Red was looking at that clipping of the girl he searched on the database. Was that bad editing? Or, is that the girl? Also - I thought LAST weeks episode was lame. The shoddy work done by the FBI/Lizzie on the Good Samaritan killings really bugs me. Don't know how people can think she's Red's daughter when she doesn't appear to be very bright.
Honored Contributor

Little confused with the mole s/l. Exactly what info is the mole doling out? I don't think it's Meera either, more likely the female head of the entire department.