Super Contributor

Re: So who is to blame for the big Oscar flub?

Sources are saying Warren and Faye did not do their "blocking" together and BOTH wanted to be the one to announce the winner. He finally decided to let her do it. If you watch she's very nervous that he's going to do it on her and seems very eager to grab the card and announce the winner. 

Did anyone notice the bald guy from La La Land who went and gave his acceptance speech even tho he clearly knew by then they had lost? He finishes and then says " by the way we lost !" 

Respected Contributor

I felt sorry for Warren thinking that people would think he was disoriented but he didn't know what to do.  Faye obviously didn't look at the card as closely as he did.  Very sad that this mistake was made at all, especially for the biggest award of the night. 

Honored Contributor

Beatty will turn 80 in a few weeks, big sis, Shirley Maclaine looked very proud watching him on the stage.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I heard earlier this morning that there are 2 sets of envelopes and that the presenters were given the wrong envelope.  Even though Emma Stone had her envelope, there was still the other one...which got handed to the presenters in error.

I don't blame Warren Beatty at all for being rattled.  It was a bad situation.  It would have been almost as awkward if he had stopped the show to indicate that he'd been given the wrong envelope.  Boo to Price Waterhouse or whoever handed the presenters the wrong envelope.

ITA

I think it would have been VERY odd had he "stopped" the show and questioned it.  He was damned either way!

One has no time to "think" about this. They'd look like an even bigger fool if they stopped , questioned it, and were incorrect.  

Shame on some for blaming Warren Beatty, and no...I'm not a huge Warren Beatty fan. I just like fairness.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This has probably been posted already - TMZ said the accountant responsible was actively tweeting backstage- including posting a photo of Emma Stone possibly at the time he should have been getting ready for the next award. 30 year veteran of the firm - certainly old enough to not be star struck.

Could you imagine if this happened after Casey Affleck had won and Manchester by the Sea had been called first ... Jimmy Kimmel interrupting Matt Damon's acceptance speech!! Nobody would believe it wasn't staged!

Esteemed Contributor

I like the way that guy just ripped the card right out of Warren's hand.

I wouldn't blame Warren for the mistake...he's 80 yrs. old...give him a break.

Trusted Contributor

There are two sets of identical envelops - handed out by which side of the stage you enter.  They were handed the wrong card - but neither Beatty or Dunaway bothered to look at it.  It stated Best Actress Emma Stone - you'd think that would raise a flag when presenting Best Picture.

All three of them goofed up.   Oh well, makes it more interesting

Esteemed Contributor

I put the blame squarely on Price Waterhouse!! It was their responsibility to hand out the correct envelopes!! I feel bad for Warren Beatty.He is elderly & he had no reason to believe that he was handed the wrong envelope!! Props to Price Waterhouse for admitting it!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't imagine anyone , even a younger person,  stopping to question it.  The tension is so high--especially for the announcement of the best picture--at the very end of the evening-- he did what I think anyone would have done. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

lovestoteach, your response shows wisdom and understanding.  I am embarrassed by not being as quick as I once was and not adjusting to rapidly changing situations well.