Honored Contributor

Re: So who is to blame for the big Oscar flub?

It was a big 'who cares' moment for me... To the extent that I was pulling for any of those films, I wasn't pulling for either of those two... The error was corrected, such as it was... and there's no need to lay blame, but I do question why Beatty handed it off to Faye simply because he didn't know what to do... As for Faye, it looked to me like she saw the card inside the envelope, but not the envelope... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

You know what they say about karma, LOL.

Honored Contributor

I heard earlier this morning that there are 2 sets of envelopes and that the presenters were given the wrong envelope.  Even though Emma Stone had her envelope, there was still the other one...which got handed to the presenters in error.

I don't blame Warren Beatty at all for being rattled.  It was a bad situation.  It would have been almost as awkward if he had stopped the show to indicate that he'd been given the wrong envelope.  Boo to Price Waterhouse or whoever handed the presenters the wrong envelope.

Respected Contributor

Hoovermom wrote:

You know what they say about karma, LOL.

That's EXACTLY how I see it- God ALWAYS wins in the end. What a bunch of egotistical buffoons. I didn't watch any of it (couldn't care less), but was laughing when I saw what happened. 

Aw, what a shame, lol. 

Esteemed Contributor

Who's to blame?  Probably Steve Harvey.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I heard earlier this morning that there are 2 sets of envelopes and that the presenters were given the wrong envelope.  Even though Emma Stone had her envelope, there was still the other one...which got handed to the presenters in error.

I don't blame Warren Beatty at all for being rattled.  It was a bad situation.  It would have been almost as awkward if he had stopped the show to indicate that he'd been given the wrong envelope.  Boo to Price Waterhouse or whoever handed the presenters the wrong envelope.

@Krimpette, I was told that by someone this morning but the tin hats will never  believe it.  There's one set of envelopes for presenters who enter stage left and another set for those who enter stage right.  That's why Emma Stone had her envelope and so did Beatty and Dunaway.  The person on the side of the stage as them should have removed Emma's envelope at once and handed them Best Picture.

IMO Beatty handled it badly.  He should have said, I'm sorry everyone but I believe I've been given the wrong envelope and i need someone on stage to verify.

Simple.  And the La La Land team wouldn't have had to be embarrassed and the Moonlight team wouldn't have been shortchanged.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

Who's to blame?  Probably Steve Harvey.

The Russians did it. 

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  From what I just read, Price Waterhouse has accepted responsibility and apologized to all.  I still blame them more than anyone.  But it all worked out in the end.

Honored Contributor

Everything We Know About the Oscars Best Picture Mistake and How It Happened

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Warren and Faye are old school Hollywood and should have known better. It was clear Warren was befuddled, he looked again in the envelope AFTER he had taken out the card. I assumed he was trying to be funny. To pass it off to her to read when he knew it was incorrect was wrong.  How Faye did not comprehend the mistake looking at the card is beyond me except maybe she didn't have on her glasses and looked at it quick just seeing La La Land.