Respected Contributor

On Sunday National Geographic Channel is showing Saints & Strangers the First Thanksgiving.  I haven't seen it but was surprised to see they had characters listed that were not pilgrims and also had Squanto.

Respected Contributor

No takers?

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

No takers?

I already have a post just above on this!

Respected Contributor

Sorry.  I posted on Friday.  No matter

Honored Contributor

I have it set to DVR and will probably watch along for some of it. It will be interesting if they are trying for more factual vs. the misinformation we learned in elementary school and the worshipping of the Saintly Pilgrim Fathers.

According to the promos, "saints" were what the religious ones were called in the vernacular of the time, and they in turn called those who weren't religious enough for them "strangers."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Anyone watch it?  I'm watching part 1 now and so far I like the grittiness of it.  The realism instrad of the myth.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched and enjoyed, but had a hard time understanding all that they said...maybe the accent or maybe the sound. They did have a tough go of getting over here and then sustaining life!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Saints & Strangers

[ Edited ]

Did anyone watch the second episode??  Interesting story, but I was somewhat confused...many different tribes, lots of tribal conflicts and pilgrim issues!  I also felt that the storyline was rushed during the second showing, almost like they had to squeeze it all in!  I did like the ending where information was shared about the lives of the main people!

Respected Contributor

I watched them both. They were interesting, and well done. Gave me a deeper appreciation, or at least a reminder, of all the hardships endured and also a new understanding  of the haughty and entitled attitude of the foreigner(Pilgrims) toward the "savages" (Native Americans).