Respected Contributor

Re: SUSPENSE-FILLED ANNE BAXTER FEST TCM MONDAY

@Oznell wrote:

@Big Joanie, that role is probably most people's high water mark for her-- what a juicy part!  I read that she was chosen because she resembled Claudette Colbert, who was originally slated to play "Margo Channing".  They thought it would be a neat idea to have the conniving upstart plotting to replace Margo, actually LOOK like Margo!  

Then that got wrecked when Colbert got injured and Bette Davis stepped in.  But Davis and Baxter were great in their roles....

I wish they were showing "Homecoming",  the one where Clark Gable is married to Anne Baxter, but falls for Lana Turner when he and Turner are serving in the war.  All three of them were perfect in their respective parts of the triangle...

I saw that for the first time this winter ....would love to see it again ...

I am sure I will

Respected Contributor

Great little tidbit Oznell about All About Eve .....thank you as always !!!

Right now watching a Star is Born with Judy Garland .... I always liked

her .....even had a girlfriend in high school and we would play her

records .....

Respected Contributor

RECORDS... Whew that was a while ago ....!!

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes to Judy, @Big Joanie!  She has always struck me, along with Fred Astaire and a choice few others, as one of the biggest talents Hollywood ever managed to corral.  Absolutely one-of-a-kind.

She and James Mason had a surprising and lovely chemistry, I thought, in "A Star Is Born"--  it really "makes" the movie for me...

Respected Contributor

Totally agree ...Judy and Fred were great talents ....

Honored Contributor

A hastily arranged furtive meeting on the river between Anne Baxter and Montgomery Clift.  Love her tailored, tiny-waisted wool dress or coat dress; the showy pin; the tiny starburst earrings. (Go full screen to get the best look.)   And unlike a lot of actresses, going very blonde is utterly becoming to Baxter-- it increases her delicacy and glamour.  She and Clift, eye to eye, a very winning pair!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/419835/I-Confess-Movie-Clip-I-m-Not-That-Good.html

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the reminder, @Oznell. Anne Baxter is one of my favorite actresses of all time! I've seen the last two rather recently, but I don’t recall ever watching “Chase a Crooked Shadow.” 

Have set it up to record. 👍

Honored Contributor

Oznell !!!!!

Great clip for I Confess.  I like Baxter's hair blond, it did become her.  Montgomery Clift, so handsome! I do remember seeing this movie years ago.  

Thanks for your always welcome input and descriptions of some terrific movies!  I try to check TCM periodically to see what to tape.  It is overwhelming at times because of so many movies I want to see.  We are fortunate to have such a station which has something for everyone especially movie buffs !  It is nice to have movies to escape from all that is going on.  I just wish I had Bon Bons (remember?) , it was always popcorn and bon bons at the movies for me!!!!!

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

She and James Mason had a surprising and lovely chemistry, I thought, in "A Star Is Born"--  it really "makes" the movie for me...

I also liked the earlier version of "A Star is Born," with Fredric March and Janet Gaynor. Fredric March was my favorite "Norman" of the three.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote

. . .

4:45 p.m.--  "I Confess"    This time, Hitchcock for real.  Sensitive priest Montgomery Clift looks good to the police for a society murder in Quebec. But there's more than meets the eye here, including of course a swank but troubled blonde socialite (Baxter) who may or may not have been his one-time lover.  Hitchcock is able to achieve high suspense plus his trademark sense of place-- you can just about feel the bracing wind blowing off the St. Lawrence!

-----

This was a good movie , although I am not a big fan of Montgomery Clift (another of the "method" actors discussed in a previous thread).

Like James Dean, his acting could be a little too "intense" for my taste (apologies if I offend admirers of either actor).

I did appreciate his performance in "From Here to "Eternity."