Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Finally saw Sully today in IMAX.   Very good film.   The scene over the opening credits was so disturbing...it made me sudder!

I have to say that in the scene when the plane took off that was the start of the "event,"  I got so nervous, because I knew that bird strike was coming really soon.  As he got cleared for takeoff on the runway, I was gripping the seat of my chair, just waiting for the strike, even though I know it all comes out OK!

One thing I really liked  - not particular to this film - is that unlike some huge stars such as Geo. Clooney for example, and Julia Roberts whom I now have trouble seeing as the character they are playing but only see them as Geo. Clooney or Julia, or whomever, I totally got into Hanks being Sully.  Perhaps it's because Hanks isn't glamorous or out a lot as a "celebrity" but is more of an everyman that I can see him as his character.  But I digress. Aaron Eckhart looked exactly like the real co-pilot Skiles.

I thought the film was very well done and I'm glad I saw it in IMAX, esp. for the splashdown in the water - we had the pilot's point of view.   I think I was a little disappointed in one aspect of the film.  By happenstance, I tuned into a National Geographic documentary which was interviews with the real crew and passengers about what happened that day - those who were on the plane. And frankly, that was much more dramatic than the movie. One major example was that the passengers in the film evacuating the plane were pretty orderly.  Not so in real life.  Several passengers described how chaotic it was and how people were climbing over seats, it was an "every man for himself" situatiion with people stepping on others.  I think depicting that evacuation as it really was would have been much more dramatic.  That scene was fairly "blah."  Also in the Nat Geo doc you saw that  man offer to hold the baby of the woman seated next to him for the impending impact.  There was a lot more to that - she was getting kind of hysterical about crashing in real life and she handed him her baby because she felt he was stronger to keep the baby safe than she was.   After they landed on the water, she really got pretty hysterical again about getting out.  But in the film we only see her hand the baby to the guy next to her in a few seconds - no emotional impact.  So because of that documentary I watched with the real-life people, I think this film could have been more dramatic, even though I do realize its theme is Sully and he went through, not the passengers.  But more chaos getting out of the plane could have been shown.  It wasn't "pretty" at all and certainly not an orderly process. In fact one passenger had to shove people away from the over heads because people wanted to get their "stuff" while the plane was filling up with water. At one point the real life passenger yells  - someone in the back of the plane is going to die so you can get your camera out or something like that.  Now that was dramatic and what really happened.

But overall it was a very good film.  I really got upset with Mrs. Sully (Laura Linney) when she started nagging Sully about finances over the phone, after what he'd just been through. Really?

I wondered if that was really Katie Couric or an actress made up and dressed to look just like her so I looked on IMdb at the credits and it really was Katie Couric!

But I'd recommend this film certainly. It was very exciting and Hanks and Eckhart were really excellent.

That was Katie Couric!

@winamac1  That's what I posted in my second to the last paragraph of my review.  Are you just confirming or what?

Why do you care? 

It's not a big deal.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

bump

Super Contributor

Tom Hanks was amazing in this movie, but then, I think that about every movie he is in. I like him because he is genuinely a nice guy and doesn't put on any airs.

The real Capt. Sully is a true hero - he had to make a split second decision that thankfully saved every soul on that airplane. I think Tom Hanks portrayed him very well. We can only hope that a pilot such as Capt. Sully is flying the next plane we happen to be on

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

Tom Hanks was amazing in this movie, but then, I think that about every movie he is in. I like him because he is genuinely a nice guy and doesn't put on any airs.

The real Capt. Sully is a true hero - he had to make a split second decision that thankfully saved every soul on that airplane. I think Tom Hanks portrayed him very well. We can only hope that a pilot such as Capt. Sully is flying the next plane we happen to be on

@moon_gazer  I agree with your post!   Sully had nerves of steel to make a split second decision like he did, and remains humble about his accomplishments.  He is a true hero.    I also agree with your remarks about Hanks playing him; perfect casting.

Honored Contributor

i originally saw this in IMAX and must say, watching it on HBO last night just didn't care to the IMAX experience, esp. the splashdown into the Hudson.  In the theater, I really felt like I was in that plane!  It was a totally different experience watching it on TV.

I did love that at the end credits, they showed real photos of the plane in the Hudson and of Sully's reunion with the passengers. Director Clint Eastwood was even kind enough to show the real Mrs. Sully at the end and a clip of her speaking.

Point of my post: I'm really glad I saw this at the movie theater in IMAX.