Honored Contributor

Re: Remember Thelma Lou from the Andy Griffith show?

@AuntG wrote:

See comment below.

Yikes, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?  Next you'll tell me Samantha wasn't a witch.

Samatha wasn't a witch?

I am surprised

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

The fact is there is no Mayberry - and people are not at all like the characters on 50's TV. It was totally unrealistic - no one ever lost their temper, kids never yelled and ran around or broke anything, the parents never had a fight -- totally unrealistic. In the real world there are humans and we are ALL flawed. 

I have readc that in real life Andy griffin and the lady who played Aunt Bea did not get along at all, and had a hard time working together.

You are wrong.  There are episodes where Opie does get angry.  Even Aunt Bea, that is when her voice gets high and shrill!  LOL.  They did get mad, all of them, Andy, Aunt Bea, Thelma Lou and Miss Crump.  In an episode i watched the other day Andy was mad at Barney and Miss Crump was mad at Andy because the town was gossiping about their engagement.  At the end of the episode Andy takes Barney by the collar and hauls him into the office!  And what has the supposed fact that Andy Griffith and Frances Bavier didnt get along IRL have to do with anything? Except to show that they were both good actors!

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

See comment below.

Yikes, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?  Next you'll tell me Samantha wasn't a witch.

Samatha wasn't a witch?

I am surprised

And Jeannie never really came out of that bottle either. And Gilligan didnt get lost, and Dobie Gillis wasnt a thinker......

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition I lived in those times. I think about it sometimes and I think the problems started when women started going to work. (no, not in WWll). Then I wonder why. Then I think because they wanted more-bigger house, another car. Then the kids got messed up because mom wasn't there when they got home from school anymore. Then came cable tv and all the shows that changed the kids. I think it was better when we only had the three networks and the three channels. Now the kids became more worldly. They grew up too fast. The electronic age came. I'm all for progress, it had to happen, but something went wrong. Life wasn't simple and easy and fun anymore. (and it was, believe me-Mayberry was the norm). They say we can never go back. It's a shame. You don't know what  you missed.

Honored Contributor

Have to say that a good portion of the responses on this thread are mind boggling!

Honored Contributor

The real 50's -- women unable to work in most fields except nursing or teaching - women having to get a*ortions in dirty hotel rooms , and dying from the experience -- Blacks unable to even get a decent education , let alone have the opportunity to make a living wage -- men abusing their wives and no one cared at all -- polio -- measels -- TB and many other diseases we can vaccinate against today that used to cripple or cause terrible birth defects -- horrible racism is socially acceptable. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@qvcaddition I lived in those times. I think about it sometimes and I think the problems started when women started going to work. (no, not in WWll). Then I wonder why. Then I think because they wanted more-bigger house, another car. Then the kids got messed up because mom wasn't there when they got home from school anymore. Then came cable tv and all the shows that changed the kids. I think it was better when we only had the three networks and the three channels. Now the kids became more worldly. They grew up too fast. The electronic age came. I'm all for progress, it had to happen, but something went wrong. Life wasn't simple and easy and fun anymore. (and it was, believe me-Mayberry was the norm). They say we can never go back. It's a shame. You don't know what  you missed.

I give you a million hearts!!  Sooooo agree!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The real 50's -- women unable to work in most fields except nursing or teaching - women having to get a*ortions in dirty hotel rooms , and dying from the experience -- Blacks unable to even get a decent education , let alone have the opportunity to make a living wage -- men abusing their wives and no one cared at all -- polio -- measels -- TB and many other diseases we can vaccinate against today that used to cripple or cause terrible birth defects -- horrible racism is socially acceptable. 

And yet today we have a completely different set of problems dont we? Oh wait, we still seem to have rascists in the USA.  And oh, while woman can get pretty much any job they want to work their butts off for, they dont have pay equity.  Oh, and on second thought, some want to place hurdles in front of pro choice elections so as to discourage them entirely.  Humans just dont seem to get it right. If you focus on what was wrong you cant ever see the good.  Too bad.  And BTW historic black colleges had long been in place and the black middle class was growing during that time.  And we did begin to vaccinate during the 50s.  

Honored Contributor

Check out Betty Lynn on IMDB, she appeared in many movies before being Thelma Lou.

Respected Contributor

I think the posts here show how the glass is half empty/ half full depending on the poster Smiley Happy and of course some are just glad to see something in the glass.

as Abraham Lincoln said "People are just about as happy as they make up thier minds to be."

I enjoy the reruns.

Back to op --have a good one 'Thelma Lou'!