Esteemed Contributor

Remember Thelma Lou from the Andy Griffith show?

Betty Lynn the actress who played her will turn 90 on Monday.   Interesting article about her on Yahoo.   I still enjoy the reruns, even though I have seen them so many times.

Honored Contributor

Re: Remember Thelma Lou from the Andy Griffith show?

Can U imagine those dear people living in today's world. Aunt Bee and other people  would be mortified. I feel a little depressed seeing how the world has evolved since those times.

Honored Contributor

I like to think of Andy, Helen , Barney and Thelma Lou on their way to a big evening in Mt. pilot... Good times. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Those "people" did not live in any times - old, current, good, or bad. All of the characters were from the imaginations of the show creator and writers. It was entirely fiction and mostly filmed on a stage. 

Honored Contributor

I knew folks like that and they weren't fiction.

Respected Contributor

@jewel3 wrote:

Those "people" did not live in any times - old, current, good, or bad. All of the characters were from the imaginations of the show creator and writers. It was entirely fiction and mostly filmed on a stage. 

Of course they were fictional characters, we know that.  But i assure you that there were people very much like them up in the country in the 50s.  I knew them, they were my relatives.  The best people on earth.  Simple times.

Honored Contributor

I can testify hahhahahaha

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jewel3 wrote:

Really???  And here I thought it was all real!  Tell me it isn't so.......  Smiley Surprised

(It's just remembering when there were simple, funny "nice" shows to watch on the TV instead of a lot of the "stuff" that now passes for entertainment.  It doesn't hurt to lose yourself in fiction occasionally.  No need to pour cold water on it.  I think we're all too aware of the real world.)

And coincidentally, I was just watching two episodes of "The Andy Griffith Show" tonight!  You know what?  There are still people and towns like that!

Valued Contributor

I, too, still enjoy The Andy Griffith Show reruns, especially the ones with Thelma Lou!  Betty Lynn retired years ago to Mt. Airy, North Carolina and still shows up at the Andy Griffith Museum once a month to reminisce with fans and sign autographs. God bless her and I hope she enjoys a wonderful 90th birthday!

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Can U imagine those dear people living in today's world. Aunt Bee and other people  would be mortified. I feel a little depressed seeing how the world has evolved since those times.

I guess I'm a little confused as to why they would be mortified.  The world is constantly evolving since Adam and Eve.  Remember what Cain did to Abel?  The world in general was never Utopian except perhaps in our dreams.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~