Respected Contributor

Rachael Ray Show...Why So Much Hands?

I've always liked Rachael Ray, especially when she first started out with 30 Minute Meals.  I tuned into her food show yesterday (in the kitchen show), and as she was talking, she NEVER stopped flapping her hands!!

I thought for a moment she was using sign language also.  What's with the hands?  It was awful and I had to turn.

Anyone else notice the "talking with hands" movement? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Rachael Ray Show...Why So Much Hands?

I could have written your post......I CAN NOT STAND IT !

Why do the PTB not do something ? A few weeks ago she was coaching the contestants on The Next Food Network Star and told the kid from  Staten Island to make sure he gestured with his hands a lot ....what ?

I will not watch anything with her in it.....it is very distracting and annoying.

Regular Contributor

I agree!  She drives me nuts too.  I don't know what her problem is but she has one.  I used to enjoy her show also but not any more.  STOP WITH ALL OF THE HAND MOTIONS RACHAEL RAY!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure if it's the same show you're talking about, but the one I've seen, where she'll have guests on, she won't stop talking.  If there's a question from someone or a discussion on their area of expertise, they get out two words and she interrupts and gives the explanation and says right?  Or starts out with well, isn't it and then goes on.  There's really no need for them to have guests, all they have to do is say  today Rachel will share her expertise on whatever.  I can't watch it for that reason.

Honored Contributor

I know I harp on this WAY too much, and you are probably tired of it, but good grief I am sick of all the screaming women on tv now.  I guess it will never stop.  I guess women will just shriek and scream and shout from now on.  We must be the rudest country on earth.

Respected Contributor

@Peridot wrote:

I agree!  She drives me nuts too.  I don't know what her problem is but she has one.  I used to enjoy her show also but not any more.  STOP WITH ALL OF THE HAND MOTIONS RACHAEL RAY!!!

@Peridot wrote:

I don't think she could talk if she could not use her hands.

Honored Contributor

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and please don't get angry with me but I thought she was Italian and aren't Italian's supposed to talk a lot with their hands?  Is that an old wives tale?  I don't know.

I have noticed that there have been times when she's been mixing up like hamburger and there's been some stuck on her finger and she starts waving those hands and a piece of meat goes flying off into the air.

Respected Contributor

I caught the last few minutes of her show at the end as I was channel surfing.  I know exactly what you all are saying.

when I did communication consulting, I would video a person as they took 5 minutes to present their area of expertise.  THEN, I would turn off the sound and let them watch their non verbals.  To a person, each was embarrassed to watch as he/ she " waved a flag ."

For those who kept their hands below the edge of the table or podium, it looked as though there was a physical problem as the hands would "dance about under the table."

I'd love to volunteer and work with RR and others...but I'm retired.  LOL

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Wow jikz!  That's neat.  So, did you see where she might have an actual 'problem' with this?  What does your expertise tell you about Rachael doing this?

I've never watched her much when she comes on the Q because her stuff seems expensive but mainly because I don't cook at all anymore so no use for it.

What do you guys think?  Do you see her being that way when she comes on the Q?

Honored Contributor

I think she and others thought it was cute at first and now she has taken it to extremes and made sort of a "thing" of it.  NOBODY waves their hands around that much.