Honored Contributor

Popcorn at the movies

[ Edited ]

Just the smell today, reminded me of my favorite movie theater growing up. My favorite one was the State Theater.  Of course the teen years, along came the drive-ins. We had two here. But The State Theater here, is full of magic in the dark, to look at, while you wait for the movie on the big screen. That was a time when it felt like magic.

Did you have a favorite movie theater as a kid?

Honored Contributor

I always get popcorn and drink (sometimes non-perills/candy) at the movies.  I like the sweet taste of the dark chocolate with the popcorn.

If you go to the movies with me you simply NEED to get popcorn.

But here's the hint....I have them go in the back and get the 'just popped' popcorn.  That way it's fresh.  Friends know that about me and they always let me order first then they say, "I'll have what she's having".  Ha!

I hate old popcorn.

Respected Contributor

Argh - popcorn at the movies is my pet peeve!  I always seem to sit next to the person that doesn't know how to chew with their mouth shut and needs to dig around in the box for 10 minutes before choosing a piece. Drives me crazy. Soooooo distracting. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Trusted Contributor

ALWAYS have popcorn. I usually bring my own now in a baggie -- Skinny Pop with some added salt. But ocassionally I buy a small bag of the movie stuff (with extra butter) because it is so right for the movies. Thanks for the tip on asking for fresh popped,

Agree with the magic. My mother who recently passed away's name was Dorothy and she was born in 1928. She never liked her name. When the Wizard of Oz came out she was 10. Her parents took her to see the movie. Films up until then were all in black and white and the beginnig of the Wizerd of Oz was too.

My mother said she was so surprised and thrilled when the movier turned to color as Dorothy woke up in Qz. She said the whole movie theatre gasped in awe! She never forgot that moment and she liked her name after that!

Candy

Esteemed Contributor

The movie theater popcorn smells heavenly but i never get it.  It's expensive for one thing and then we normally are eating lunch or dinner out  before or afterwards.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I never get popcorn at the movie theater - too expensive for what you get.  We usually go out to lunch or dinner after seeing a movie which I think is a better use of my money.    

Honored Contributor

We had one theater when I was growing up, and I spent a good part of my young life there. It had a balcony, which we used for hanky lanky when we got older. That theater is now a church, and I fee bad whenever I see it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@candyagain Great story!  

As a kid, we had a black-and-white television and I never got to see OZ in color and my mother would always tell me that it was supposed to be colorful. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

I never got popcorn or anything growing up.  I don't think we were given money for that, but we went to the movies all the time.  We probably went right after lunch with friends.

I never got popcorn or anything as an adult as a result of that.  When I go with friends or on a date, it's usually after lunch or dinner or just before lunch or dinner, so there is no need.

My last boyfriend, however, insisted on popcorn as his meal.  It was his thing.  I curse him for getting me into eating popcorn at movies now.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

The closest town when I was growing up only had one theater, also called the State Theater and one screen, unless you went about another 10 miles and there was a drive in.

My favorites snacks were the Jujubes, Nonpareils, Sugar Baby. Junior Mints.